MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at fitting some coilovers as my first mod to my MCS, now the car is rarely driven hard and I doubt I'll ever track it.. but I want to improve the handling. Now I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between any coilovers fitted, I just want a set that I can have fitted, adjusted correctly and then leave without ever adjusting again.

At the moment I'm thinking KW V1 coilovers, is there anything else that is recommended to be fitted at the same time? Top mounts, bushes, ARBs etc?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
460 Posts
i would look at some BC sports, ive head good things about them from our friends across the pond and they come with new top mounts all round

lower wishbone bushes are a must too swap to superflex

·
heavy foot = light wallet
453 Posts
if i couldnt of got my konis at a bargain price i would of gone with KW v1s or BCs as both seem to get top marks for basic coilovers.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
I had the KW1's on my car but they are off being changed as I was sent the wrong ones hence different drop links. Anyway:

the drive on them was fantastic, i had eibach springs before and the coilovers were so much better in terms of ride than the eibachs, and that was with the arches right down as close to the tyre as possible.

The handling was also amazing! you could chuck it into any corner and it would stick, no roll at all.

I would highly recommend them for fast road use and would also recommend Lohen to buy them off. They sent a courier to collect mine because they were wrong and are sending me new ones free of charge.

They sent me coilovers for a 2002 car which required different drop links so didnt quite work with my car. And i also had to raise the front of the car back up again as the company who fitted them didnt do a good job and messed up the drop links so didnt quite hold enough tension.

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Whats youre budget?

If within budget, I would say the Cross setup. I'm very happy with them on the road. They soak up bumps better than stock, and the crashing through potholes has gone.

The BC's are supposed ot be good, and cheap. If you go that route, have a word with Damo. I think hes getting them and can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
KW variant 1 all the way. I've been in cars with others mentioned and the KW is a lot smoother ride on the road. However you can't have both, if you want top notch track suspension you will need to sacrifice normal road driving
Just makesure you have non-runflats too, or whatever you do to the suspension will be wasted if not

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, Bhozar the Cross suspension is out of budget really, well more like its more than I'd like to spend on coilovers! It would be a waste on my car :)

Good to hear the good reviews on the KW V1s, Ant did you fit anything else apart from the coilovers?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
I PM'd [email protected] before i bought mine to ask about camber and he mentioned about things to correct them and roll bars etc but with mine i didnt need them.
Yes there was a bit of camber but there was no roll.

If you arent going to track your car just the coilovers should be fine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
^^ as DB said if your going lower than 30mm rear control arms become vital to correct the rear camber its not the end of the world at £150 but its worth remembering

in the end it depends how bothered you are some people live with it some of us (me) like everything set up properly

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
i may have a plan.................
but only for people like me, with short arms and deep pockets...

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
i would look for adj top mounts, and as said by james^^^ rear control arms will pay for themselves in saved tyres if you drop any more than 30mm, so consider them foc

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
how low do want to go? clearence,? or at speed?
how much do want to spend, ie anything from £700-2k

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
just orderd my bc coilovers and rear control arms..
watch this space..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Barking

Looking at fitting some coilovers as my first mod to my MCS, now the car is rarely driven hard and I doubt I'll ever track it.. but I want to improve the handling. Now I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between any coilovers fitted, I

George
I have to say I think you will be wasting your money. I track day my cooper s a lot and I think that the last thing I would do in modifications would be to change the stock suspension. If you don't drive your car hard you won't notice any difference at all.

My order of improvements would be :

1) Change the tyres from runflats, e.g. Kumho Ecstas. Biggest difference of any mod that you will notice.
2) More power and better brakes. As simple as a pulley plus GTT's spiroslot discs with MTX8 pads.

That would be enough for a massive improvement over standard and happily trackable.

Then as the bug hits you:

3) Change the front bushes to polybushes. Again a big difference.
4) Then more trackday like tyres such as yoko Parads. Again a big step up in terms of grip.
5) More power - GTT intercooler, exhaust manifold, 1320 camshaft and bigger injectors.
6) Larger rear sway bar to reduce uundersteer.

Then, if it still doesn't go well enough

7) Coilovers, or probably nearly as good, original dampers and Eibach loweried and stiffer springs.

In my opinion, if you don't drive hard, or track - you don't need to do any of the above on an MCS.

If you do - you will be perfectly happy for a while just doing 1 and 2.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to improve handling though, not just lower the car. Reduing body roll is important to me! I don't drive the car hard very often, but when I do I want it to be good :)

Thanks for advise!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I want to improve handling though, not just lower the car. Reduing body roll is important to me! I don't drive the car hard very often, but when I do I want it to be good :)

Thanks for advise!
The cooper S handles pretty well as a stock car. It is tricky to find its limits on the road in the dry particularly if you don't track it or drive hard occasionally.

It certainly doesn't roll a lot compared to other cars. It does understeer a fair bit as standard - this has been dialled into the setup to stop most drivers flying off the road.

If you are being straight with the forum and your motivation really is improving the handling of the car there are far better things to try first for your money. Different tyres and replacing the front bushes for a start would transform the turn in, feel, grip and corner speed.

Coilovers would be a next step in my view.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts