MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that on cold days (around freezing and below) that when you first start the car it idles at a higher speed? I just recently got an 05 MCS and notcied on cold days when I start the engine in the morning that it idles around 1200 RPMs. When I've been driving for a while and stop it idles at what it normally seems to settle to, around 800 RPMs. Maybe I'm just noticing the higher idle now in the cold because I'm sitting there a wee bit longer because I'm turning on my heater and the heated seats.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Normal. A cold engine has a lot more to overcome in terms of internal friction -- the oil is thicker when cold and imposes more drag on the engine. As does the cold and thick transmission oil when you let the car idle in neutral with the clutch pedal released. To avoid stumbling and other driveability problems when the engine is cold, a higher idle rpm is set. As the engine warms, the idle speed can be lowered.

Similar in concept to the idea behind an automatic choke, but of course not an automatic choke since fuel-injected cars don't have chokes. :)

There are probably other emissions-related reasons why it does this too -- it wouldn't suprise me if it helped the catalytic converter reach operating temperature faster or some other such thing.

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
snid try a tank of Shell (if you can get it) mid-grade every 4-5 tanks. it works for many folks who have the cold start sputter issue. My SA swears by it, and that the occasional lower octane wont hurt the engine.

A couple weeks after I got EFR in early Oct, it developed a weird cold start problem: it'd take forever acheiving ignition then sputter for a bit, jump to 1200 rpm, sputter, tap gas litely, then OK, like it didnt want to start. Very annoying.

But lately tho the problem has disappeared (did not run mid-grade). Weird little quirk IG :rolleyes: Jimbo

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
snid said:
Consider yourself lucky. My Cooper (not S) doesn't idle when it's cold. It stalls.
Ditto. Sometimes I'll just get a SES light, sometimes it'll fully stall. Mentioned it to the dealer and they looked at me like I was a total idiot. :rolleyes: No resolution to date and little, if any, feedback from others on the boards. Its really embarassing when someone else is in the car. Its hard to convince someone of the virtures of a MINI when they see the stupid thing stall every time I start it. :mad:

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
Maybe I am full of alligator dodo but once I started waiting 5-10 seconds AFTER I turned the ignition on to hit the starter, any and all "weird" goings on with starting PKT RKT dissappeared..... and whenever I forget and just hit it when cold, it will stall......

Here is another funny one on sort of the same subject: so I get a NISSAN pick up as my co. car (don't ask) and it is a diesel job. Well, it has this switch that says "heat"...so I hit, thinking "aha!! heated seat!"
Well....I forget about it and I go about my business.....well sometime later, I find that it is idling very high, almost 2000......so I am thinking...well, something broke......but have no time for a dealer visit.....so then a week goes by and it is kind of making me upset and then I discover that if I put the clutch in or put it gear, the RPMs drop to normal.....so I am thinking, well, cool...it is a nifty feature, some sophisticated emissions ploy......ANOTHER week goes by and even though I now think it normal, it is really irking me.
Finally I sweet talk Madame Treasurer into taking it into the dealership so they can see what is up......remember the switch??.....it is a high idle switch to make the engine warm up quicker........good thing she was the one that asked......... :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.