MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yep, those are nice looking.
A bit off topic here, but It would be great if they also took the time to make the speedo face more accurate then stock. I had read on the other mini site that Mini speedos are off, by a good amount. So, I took my GPS along with me the other day, and sure enough, the speedo is a mess. Not too off until about 50mph, then it just gets ridiculous. By 60, my speedo reads about 63. At 70, speedo is about 75, at 80, speedo is near 90. YIKES! Can this be fixed?
:blblack:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Pretty much all speedos are like that (certainly in Europe). The other odd thing is they make no adjustment for different size wheels. When planning or attending a run with distance markers, you'd be amazed at just how far out the distance travelled in a MINI on 16" wheels and a MINI on 15" wheels can be!

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily European, but it's been mentioned before that all BMW speedos are off by 10%. Of course, at 30mph, unless you've got a REAL anal cop, it shouldn't matter. But it certainly gives you a good margin of safety at 90 mph (not that any of us drive at 90...)

d

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
DUCTTAPE said:
I don't think it's necessarily European, but it's been mentioned before that all BMW speedos are off by 10%. Of course, at 30mph, unless you've got a REAL anal cop, it shouldn't matter. But it certainly gives you a good margin of safety at 90 mph (not that any of us drive at 90...)

d
Closer to 5%.

A new face will not make the speedo more accurate but I would like to see finer gradients on the speedo but even more so on the tach. I used to driving by my tach and I find the lack of gradients disturbing in a car denoted as "sporty".

Edit:
The 5% is based on mine being checked using GPS and a friendly State Trooper.
Both put me right at 1.5 MPH high at 30 and just at 4MPH high at 60.
I also drive past radar signs on base. 2 separate stations agree on my speeds.
Of course I can't quite do 60 on base :eek: :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
obehave said:
Closer to 5%.

A new face will not make the speedo more accurate ......
I think it would, no? If the hash marks are actually put where the correct speed is, then we are all set. Seems that we all have the same problem, so why would this not fix it? Might be a great marketing idea if there is no other fix.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
onasled said:
I think it would, no? If the hash marks are actually put where the correct speed is, then we are all set. Seems that we all have the same problem, so why would this not fix it? Might be a great marketing idea if there is no other fix.
If you make it accurate at 60 it'll be off at 30 or 100MPH. Then you'd have to do it different for European Speedos.
You would have to design a graduated scale on the face. Doable but a whole lot harder(read expensive) than doing a constant gradient.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'd like an electric blue speedo :cool: . I'm happy with the original markings, it just needs
to look good for my passengers or when stationary as I don't look at the speedo when
I'm driving :eek: .

·
Proud MINI2 Sponsor
368 Posts
Those are sweet! Maybe North Hollywood Speedometer or Palo Alto Speedometer could do these?

From the NH site:
>>Have your speedometers and instruments customized
to reflect your taste.
Choose your own combinations and colors.
Customize your bezel or have a special logo put on.
If your gauges are not keeping up with your engine modification
let us convert and calibrate your gauges with higher readouts,
longer red lines, and a sportier look.<<
http://www.nhspeedometer.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.