2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R50 2002 Compression Test
just done a test and getting readings as follows
Cyl 1 130 PSI
Cyl 2 145 PSI
Cyl 3 160 PSI
Cyl 4 160 PSI
I suspect HGD is gone as getting small coolant loss and white smoke in Exhaust and getting Error Codes Cyl2 Misfire and Low Fuel. Got it booked in for HGD swap out next week. is my diagnosis correct

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
while head is off would have valve stem seals replaced and valve springs checked and seats lapped in as common with age for seals to fail and use oil, most common water leaking is thermo housing crack also the heat exchanger on oil filter case at rear of engine fail with age as well, as do head gaskets around 100k

·
Registered
2003 R53 Liquid Yellow
57 Posts
R50 2002 Compression Test
just done a test and getting readings as follows
Cyl 1 130 PSI
Cyl 2 145 PSI
Cyl 3 160 PSI
Cyl 4 160 PSI
I suspect HGD is gone as getting small coolant loss and white smoke in Exhaust and getting Error Codes Cyl2 Misfire and Low Fuel. Got it booked in for HGD swap out next week. is my diagnosis correct
From the symptoms and compression readings it points to the head gasket being bridged between two adjacent cylinders.

Gerry

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
From the symptoms and compression readings it points to the head gasket being bridged between two adjacent cylinders.

Gerry
best way to confirm that is by adding oil in both them cylinders and redo compression test on those two cylinders,, the oil will just for a moment seal the piston rings if piston rings worn or dirty so if compression jumps up then rings,, if stays the same,, also when doing a compression test should have a fully charged battery and charger attached to it as battery gets a kicking every time do compression test ie count to 10 each time of cranking so all are equal tests as well,,, also leak down test ie compressed air added to each plug hole and listen to the plug hole next to it will prove blown between,,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all input. full HGD kit and timing chain bought as well as new Thermostat Housing for works to be undertaken next week. local garage quoting 7 hours labour worse case but maybe nearer 5 dont know if head needs skim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts