MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one had problems with condensation in the rear lights my dealer has replaced one unit and it still fogs up is this normal and ever time i get in the car its fogged up is this normal ????

i love the car but the problems keep poping up

pull to the left still not fixed
petrol not showing full
power steering pump very loud on idle
both rear lights fogging up (new unit as well)

on a december build car i get all the old problems

I think they ran out of good parts to build the car
so they used the rejects

thinking of rejecting and geting a cooper s

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
sounds just like my current MINI, good luck rejecting.
All these issues are known faults....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Out of the blue

You can adjust the bolts quite easily.

Open the access panels on the inside of the boot.

The cluster is fixed in using a long threaded bar with a nut on it - had a look at mine and adjusted after some condensation appeared. (not very tight, but don't over tighten)

Also got a couple of silica gel packs and shoved them in to make sure it wasn't just a bit of condensation.

Noticed in my car you only get condensation in rear lights if it is very wet inside the car - like when I went to the lake district a couple of weeks ago.

At the moment problem has gone.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Re: Out of the blue

mooser said:
You can adjust the bolts quite easily.

Open the access panels on the inside of the boot.

The cluster is fixed in using a long threaded bar with a nut on it - had a look at mine and adjusted after some condensation appeared. (not very tight, but don't over tighten)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Rear light condensation

Time to revive this topic.

What is the size (in Milimeters) of the bolt that holds the rear tailight assembly as shown in the picture?

I will be buying a metric wrench (All my wrenches are SAE)and need to make sure about the correct size of the holding nut.

Thanks.:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Rear light condensation

cooper4us said:
Time to revive this topic.

What is the size (in Milimeters) of the bolt that holds the rear tailight assembly as shown in the picture?

I will be buying a metric wrench (All my wrenches are SAE)and need to make sure about the correct size of the holding nut.

Thanks.:D
Generally, nuts that hold on trim pieces are 10mm, so that's my guess on that one (but you may want to splurge and get more than one metric wrench! :D )

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Re: Rear light condensation

BruceK said:

Generally, nuts that hold on trim pieces are 10mm, so that's my guess on that one (but you may want to splurge and get more than one metric wrench! :D )
D'oh! How could I forget?

You should already own a metric wrench or two as part of your MINI's took kit! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got the water issue also. Never had any signs of it from repeated washings, but noticed a significant amount of standing water in the passenger side tail light cover after parking outside during a prolonged rainstorm.

When I stopped by my dealer, I was informed that they had just replaced another that same day - the downside of that being that they no longer had the part on hand, necessitating that I make a return trip when it comes in.

1300 miles and this is the only fault of any type I've encountered. Very, very pleased with the overall build quality.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Pepper White Brothers!

I also noticed some condensation developing inside the rear right tailight lenses as well after we had some rain a couple of weeks ago. The left tailight lenses are fine and dry.

I did some research on the subject here in MINI2 and came up with this old thread. I will try to re-adjust the holding nut again just to make sure that it is not undertighten from factory, which I suspect it could be.

If after re-tighten the Lens assembly holding nut does not remedy the condensation, then I will take it back to the dealership for a replacement.

I tought this would be a good thing to try before making the 30 mile journey to the service dept. I think the lens rubber seal is still in good condition but probably not sealing properly against the body, thus allowing some water to get inside. Since our MINIs were built the same day, I suspect the person in the assembly line either used a batch of defective rear light lens covers or for some reason did not tighten them enough to create a good seal.

Same as yourself, this is the only very minor problem I have had with the car in 800 miles. I am also pleased to report that the morning cold engine stuttering has gone away for the last couple of days. I suspect I had a so-so quality tank of premium gas from the week before. I refilled with Mobil 93 octane and the car now runs very smoothly again.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Rear light condensation

BruceK said:

D'oh! How could I forget?

You should already own a metric wrench or two as part of your MINI's took kit! :)
Do I?!:p

I haven't even checked my tool kit since I got the car a month ago! I learn something new everyday....

Anyway, the holding nut appears to be 10mm so I think you are right about the correct wrench size. Thanks for replying!

BTW, do you have your MCS back?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear light condensation

cooper4us said:
BTW, do you have your MCS back?
Just got it back last evening, but all is not well. I have a post in the Fixes and Faults forum about my headlight washers not working (they worked before the bodyshop touched them) and there still some paint flaws that need correction. :( But after 5 weeks driving a Neon, I am really enjoying being reunited with and driving my Cooper S again! :) :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Pepper White Brothers!

cooper4us said:
Since our MINIs were built the same day, I suspect the person in the assembly line either used a batch of defective rear light lens covers or for some reason did not tighten them enough to create a good seal.
Could be, could be. Just as long as this is not symptomatic of some type of tele-empathic paranormal "twins phenomenon" - that could cause some serious difficulties while driving. LOL

Come to think of it, since yours is a CVT and mine is a 5-speed, they're more "fraternal" than identical twins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts