MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:

I was just looking over my Order Form when I noticed that my initial deposit of $500.00 was canceled. It shows as follows:

Total Balance Due $ 31811.97
Down payment 0
Less: Deposit 500.00
Remaining Down payment -500.00
Unpaid Balance of Cash Price $ 31811.97

Thus, is it me or is the math wrong......I just paid them to order the dam thing.
Shouldn't the price be $ 31311.97 or does MINI charge $500 just to order the vehicle.

By the way this is Fort Lauderdale, * * * * .
If any of you has come across this questions please let me know.

Best Regards,
:dsblack:

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is a classic math problem, where you do not have sufficient information to write the equations. If "remaining down payment" is something you have to pay then the minus figure represents a credit that has been switched from deposit to downpayment You need to know the TOTAL price of the car to see if the $3181 represents the total price minus your deposit.

What did you buy that costs so much? I bought a pretty loaded MC/S for $25,180. If you bought an MC/S convertible, and it is 3500 more, thats still only $28680. Are they charging you an amount over sticker? Don't pay them over sticker - it just encourages them!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pricing in US seems to be Dealer Specific

I have ordered a MCS from Utah and they wanted a $2,000 down payment for the car, but all of that goes towards the msrp, and not a premium dealer mark up fee like almost all California dealerships are charging... (From 3,000 to 6,000 over sticker price!!)

But before you complain, it is worth it... (yeah... right)

One dealership lets you get a free car wash 6 days a week from them, another throws in a lifetime lojack tracking subscription...

Can't comment on your specfics, but I would get them to clarifiy it for you. I can back out up until the time the car enters production.

- MadHatter

Update: I wrote this before JoeDentist posted his reply (apparently at nearly the same time - you beat me JoeDentist !!) But I also thought wow, what an expensive Mini... is it a limited edition cooper ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Expensive Mini

No guys:

Your right it comes out to $ 26,811.37something but, the dealer wants 5,000 for the John Cooper Works upgrade. Thus, the price of $ 31811.37. You must also take into account that this is the final price everything included.

Anyway, still confused somewhat. If the end price is$ 31811.37 after tax, fees and all then my deposit of $500.00 should equate to $31311.37.

Thank you for your feedback I will surely complaint tomorrow.

Regards,

·
Registered
700 Posts
My MCS was virtually the same as Joe Dentist, with fog lamps, gauge package.

My dealer, Crown MINI of Richmond, included a $660 "Dealer Prep" charge that was over and above the $500 "Destination" fee. The Destination fee is commonplace among almost all franchised dealers. But, the Dealer Prep fee is a pure rip off, added on because supply and demand allows dealers to charge more than the sticker price.

Both dealers that are within reasonable driving distance of my home charged a similar, $660 added fee. I've heard far worse, $4,000 or more being charged by some dealers.

I say simply walk away from such exorbitant fees from dealers and go to another dealership. It's too bad MINI allows dealers to do this, such practices give the industry a bad rep.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I told Crown that I would NOT pay that fee (it was $599 when I bought mine) and they removed it. :D I also made them cut the paperwork fee from $399 to $200.

Oh, and I still got the paint protectant (whoopee) and floor mats as well as the full car cleanup.

vagt6 said:
My MCS was virtually the same as Joe Dentist, with fog lamps, gauge package.

My dealer, Crown MINI of Richmond, included a $660 "Dealer Prep" charge that was over and above the $500 "Destination" fee. The Destination fee is commonplace among almost all franchised dealers. But, the Dealer Prep fee is a pure rip off, added on because supply and demand allows dealers to charge more than the sticker price.

Both dealers that are within reasonable driving distance of my home charged a similar, $660 added fee. I've heard far worse, $4,000 or more being charged by some dealers.

I say simply walk away from such exorbitant fees from dealers and go to another dealership. It's too bad MINI allows dealers to do this, such practices give the industry a bad rep.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
F I N A L O U T C O M E : - )

Well guys: Good News.

There seemed to be some type of misunderstanding at the time the Order Form was being completed. As it turns out, I was right and Lauderdale Mini did credit my initial deposit towards the total cost of the vehicle.

I was kind of in shock when I made this unfortunate discovery. As I have been scouting a dealership and these forums for over a year now. I have seen and read of the difference at
Lauderdale Mini and now I can honestly testify to that. They are truly up front and make corrections, if need be, on the spot.

You could never be too humble towards dealers though. But they are sure the lesser of the two evils.

Once again I thank all of you for your time and expertise.

Best Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.