MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the consequences of being pulled over with limo tints on the front windows?

thanks.

·
The Fast Lane
57 Posts
This is yet another one of those stupid British laws that I don't agree with, personally I like full window tints on most cars but the law states:

As of January 1st 2004, new legislation was brought in that prohibits window tinting.

The Law:

You are not allowed to tint your windscreen or front windows AT ALL. Anything forward of the B pillar (middle of the car) MUST NOT be tinted in anyway. You are however still allowed to perform any level of tinting on your back windows.

If you've tinted you windows before January that does not mean that you are safe, if the police believe that your tint causes reduced visibility they can issue you with an order to have it removed.

I know someone in Manchester who was stopped, given 3 penalty points and a £60 fine and told to remove the front window tints.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh right i no the law on this is pathetic.
just because one accident happened involving the death of someone, and they had front window tints, all window tints are now banned on the front, it doesn't make sense.

i could be alright with the fine, its just the three points :(

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
If you were involved in very serious accident, this could also be considered and put down to your insurance company not paying out on the claim. You would do at your own risk, VOSa are getting stricter on this now I believe.

·
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE
6,836 Posts
when walking and trying to cross roads, or when facing another vehicle at a junction, eye to eye contact has been shown to greatley reduce the number of accidents according to a traffic management expert i once had a conversation with.
Hence the need to see people in cars.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had the fronts done on my last car, Was pulled over into a Police/VOSA checkpoint was there for over an hour with them checking the glass was told I had seven days to remove it or my car would be taken:aargh:

·
Registered
84 Posts
all of my windows were tinted on a 'lightly smoked' kind of colour when i bought my mini but i've just had the back three done Limo Black and it actually made the front two look darker and inside the car is really dark too, i think thats why. The guy that tinted mine said the light tints i have on the front windows are illegal because you aren't aloud any at all but i bought the car from a MINI dealership and they are factory tinted so can't see how that can be. They normally only charge an extra £20-£30 for tinting the whole car and not just the back three so it might be worth the risk of getting pulled. My friend got pulled and just had a certain amount of time to get them taken off but i've heard you can get a fine for it. It's up to you though if you want to take the risk or not!

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
Well if its extremely bad, I'll get your car prohibited from moving another inch.

Or if its a film on the glass, I'd get you to peel it off.

Or....give you a ticket!

Basically, if driving at night, its like driving with sunglasses on, and how many people would do that? And if you get them done, well you're just asking for trouble!

·
GEEEEEEEEK
9,069 Posts
The Grown up Mini poser :p never figured i would see that day

me i hate tints and agree thay should be banned totally after speniding the last 7 years driving all over the uk eye to eye contact plays a major part in everyday safety

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

And,

Patience is a virtue.

And if as Fevs says, if you can see the whites of another driver's eyes and they can see yours, generally know where you are!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
It's up to you though if you want to take the risk or not!
I suppose the bigger risk is more than just the fear of getting stopped or fined, what if you hit someone or something?

Surely as tints are illegal your car is not classed as road worthy, thus invalidating your insurance and leaving you open to far more than just a fine;)

I've had tints before they were made illegal, but I wouldn't have them now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
T thought that the windows were slightly tinted anyway? I live in a country where the sun shines (almost) every day and I see only a very few cars with tints. I can't see the need for them in UK though.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
T thought that the windows were slightly tinted anyway? I live in a country where the sun shines (almost) every day and I see only a very few cars with tints. I can't see the need for them in UK though.
They are slightly tinted, but we are talking about a more darker tint like you would see on a limo. Range Rovers tend all to be darkened (By choice of the owner) i think it does make a car with factory rear tints look a hell of a lot better, otherwise it looks like a Van.
The law is the law though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
the police didnt even mention mine when they found my car in a hedge the other week - then again the tints wont have had anythin to do with the silly mistake i made - my bad.

light smoke on my fronts - and ya can actually see thru the car - but not in dark - who can see in dark anyway???

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suppose the bigger risk is more than just the fear of getting stopped or fined, what if you hit someone or something?

Surely as tints are illegal your car is not classed as road worthy, thus invalidating your insurance and leaving you open to far more than just a fine;)

I've had tints before they were made illegal, but I wouldn't have them now.
The tints on my car aren't illegal, you are allowed dark on the back three, and as for the front ones, mine are the lightest tint you can get... and they were factory fitted and completely legal as the dealer said. My father-in-law is a policeman and deals with things like this on the roads - he's never once mentioned my tints in a negative manor, he's always on the side of the law and would of told me STRAIGHT away if anything illegal was going on, but i will pick his brains on it. I also live opposite a police station and pass them every day, not once have i been stopped but if they do stop me theres not a thing they can do because i'm not breaking any laws!

If you look at most vans, they don't even have windows on the back and thats worse.. so if they do ban tints alltogether then they would have to take all those vans off the road because there can't be one rule for one and not another..! :D

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
This is yet another one of those stupid British laws that I don't agree with, personally I like full window tints on most cars but the law states:

As of January 1st 2004, new legislation was brought in that prohibits window tinting.

The Law:

You are not allowed to tint your windscreen or front windows AT ALL. Anything forward of the B pillar (middle of the car) MUST NOT be tinted in anyway. You are however still allowed to perform any level of tinting on your back windows.

If you've tinted you windows before January that does not mean that you are safe, if the police believe that your tint causes reduced visibility they can issue you with an order to have it removed.

I know someone in Manchester who was stopped, given 3 penalty points and a £60 fine and told to remove the front window tints.
i thought you were aloud a 36% tint??

1 - 20 of 39 Posts