MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two MINI hatches I'm thinking of going for a Clubman next, for a change if nothing else.
Having had various problems with interior trim rattles (haven't we all) I was wondering if any existing owners thought that the Clubman was more prone to this, what with the extra and more complicated doors, etc.
Also, do you think that they tend to ride a bit better than the hatch? I have sciatica, so I would welcome a slightly smoother ride....
Any comments would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have both a current hatch and a Clubman, and had the previous gen hatch. The Clubbie ride is certainly smoother than the hatches. Less bumpy, generally a bit smoother. Both have various interior creaks and squeaks. The hatch at the keyfob slot and the Clubbie in the trim around the sunroof. I haven't noticed any particular problems with squeaks and rattles around the Clubman-specific parts.

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Have gone from a 2001 Cooper to a 2007 Clubman S and im very pleased with the upgrade :D
The clubbie is less jittery over rough surfaces and feels a little more planted than a hatch. I have changed to Toyo non runflat tyres and lowered it with Eibach 30mm springs and it now feels superb. A nice smooth quiet ride but less roll in the corners, ACE.
Ive not got any clubbie specific creaks or rattles just had a rubbing window seal on drivers door that could of happened on hatch.
You wont be dissappointed with a clubman!

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Insurance on a clubman is generally lower... As a general rule one model higher on a clubman than a hatch (e.g. cooper hatch is about the same as a cooper s clubman). It was the case when I got a quote, and a friend has just gone from a One D to a Cooper D clubman and pays £30 a year more - not bad when you think the car is worth 3x the price!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I haven't noticed any special Clubman rattles. The ride quality is quite a bit better than the hatch. The Clubman has less of a tendency to "hobby horse" due to the increased wheel base, but it is the same stiffness. If you go with non-runflat 15" wheels, the ride is nice.

I can't speak to UK insurance rates. In the US, the insurance will be close.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for those replies.
I'd read one press report which said they thought the body on the Clubman was less stiff than the hatch, and flexed a bit. Have any of you any thoughts on this?

·
Never to old to have fun
320 Posts
I've not had a second gen hatch but we do have a first gen and the Clubbie is so much better ride :)

As to rattles ;) my first Clubbie had so many the dealer took it back, but I do believe it was a Friday afternoon built car, my present Clubbie is so much better :D

It has a few small rattles around the dash but this seems to be the same as all MINI's :rolleyes:

Go for it and buy one :biggrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my Clubman S for a couple of weeks now - no rattles/problems to report. Like most of the others have said....more space (an adult can fit reasonably well in the back behind a 6-footer in front) and a better ride. The ride in back is pretty vigorous in the S hatch...a bit less so in the clubbie and I think the handling on rough roads is a bit better. Have not noticed any real flex, but even the Clubman is so much stiffer than the Merc C I traded in it would be hard for me to tell.

I say go for it - I think you will like it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts