MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had told myself I wasn't going to do any more performance mods to the car until my warranty was up, but recently I keep thinking I would like to put a header on to compliment my exhaust and intake mods. However, I have a few concerns. One is that the headers I have seen all involve removing the catalytic converter. Are there headers that incoporate the OEM cat? I have to e-check my car here in Ohio every other year. I don't know if the car would pass without the cat on. Also, I have heard that you can actually lose low end on the MC by removing the cat. I have also heard it is illegal to remove the cat. Any comments about these concerns or this mod would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I installed a Milltek header w/cat and catback system a week or so ago.

No, I don't believe that any header is available that would adapt to the factory cat. In looking at the system, I just don't believe it can be done at all.
The aftermarket cat that comes with an aftermarket header is a high performance cat. To use that factory cat, there is really no benefit then to having a header. It does raise the price considerably, but I feel it's worth the gain I personally received.
Upper middle to high end RPM power gain is very noticeable. I truly do not feel ANY loss in the lower end at all.
The install of a heard in a Mini is quite easy. A bit of a knuckle buster, but just be patient and it goes in with ease.
The ONLY downfall I have found with the addition of this system to my MCS is that I find myself “getting on it” more often then I did before. The sound and the higher power band are just too much fun !
:blblack:

Added this;
ooops, sorry. I see that you are doing this to a MC, not MCS. I don't know that my reply would help then .

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply, and what you say probably would hold true with the Cooper also. I think I will put this mod off for a while. The wife will be happy! :D

·
Registered
444 Posts
I really can't say on the sound thing being that both the header and the catback went in at the same time.
I just know that the system sounds very racy without a whole lot of noise. I have to say that it's a great sound that I just can’t get enough of. Absolutely no drone, just crisp throaty powerful sound.
I've posted some video clips here on this forum. If you haven't seen them then let me know if you want to. It's my understanding though that the header does add just a bit more power sound, also the performance cat. might help this also. Not loud at all and is most likely quieter then many of the other catbacks alone that are availble.

:blblack:

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am back thinking about the header again. I wonder if a hi-performance cat would pass emissions testing?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
dansmini said:
I am back thinking about the header again. I wonder if a hi-performance cat would pass emissions testing?
I haven't read of anybody failing at least when using the systems from major suppliers.
It should be fine especially after being well warmed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts