MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Now im Hyper!
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My friend has a R56 (November 2006 Registered), and has had major faults over the three months he has owned it.

The faults so far:

• Oxygen Converter in Exhaust - June 08
  • Flywheel being changed - July 2008
  • problem with the crankshaft - July 2008
  • Clutch replaced - July 2008
  • Already had 3 engine management lights
  • Yesterday engine went on (after 10 minutes of being repaired) - car lost all power
The MINI has only 16k miles, and since he owned it he has done 2000 miles.

Now its been back to dealer four times to fix the faults, and most over the last two weeks. They cant identify the problem, and continue to re-build the engine and clutch / gearbox. Also prior to the faults, the car felt very slow. The car was bought MINI Cherished, through a franchised dealer.

So what is the process of rejecting the vehicle? Could he have a full refund due to only three months ownership?

Need some help on this, as will be speaking to the dealer principal today.

Cheers.

:)

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
I went through 6 months of repairs on a used but nearly new car. Some of the newly replaced parts actually broke straight after being fitted!! I ended up contacting Ford Uk direct and Trading standards who both supported my case.

The dealership said they would find a direct replacement for the car and all parties agreed this would be a suitable fix. 4 weeks on and the dealership still hadn't found a single car as a suitable replacement. Myself Ford and trading standards put pressure on for them to refund me, which they agreed to BUT I did pay a nominal fee per mile that I'd covered in the vehicle( a good number of which ironically was going to and from the dealership). I agreed to this and paid a couple of hundred pounds and was relieved beyond belief to be rid of such a dire car.

You really will need to dig in and be polite but firm and don't relent on the pressure to get it sorted.

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
wether this is the same for mini, but BMW have an AUV warranty. If they cant rectify a fault within 30 days they wil give u another car.

Asking for a refund of a car after 3 months may be a tall order, and something I dont think you are entitled to sadly.

I would write a log of all the issues and their timeframes. You need a good pattern of events all listed, then write a letter, be polite and try not to be rude etc.

State the repair, what you want, and that you are doing the honest thing and giving them a chance to rectify the situation first. If they do not provide satisfactory resolution, you will take it the next step to trading standards and MINI head office.

One stage at a time, sometimes these disputes can be drawn out!

good luckk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Be firm and make them take the car back. Dont take No for an answer. A busy Saturday is always a good time to make a fuss in the showroom. Serious engine problems so early on are going to cause nothing but a string of problems from here on. They have obviously tried to fix it and have failed. Contact Trading Standards/Citizens advice/get legal advice.
My father had to get a solicitors letter drawn up to threaten to sue a dealer in order to return a car after 6months of endless serious engine faults. They paid out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rejecting your car

I have just had my 08 cooper D which I took delivery of in May, replaced due to a list of quality issues and 1 engine fault. I contacted customer services with a lettter listing all the faults and that i really wasnt happy at all. They contacted the dealership and told them to order me a new car. I took delivery of my new car yesterday. Complain!!!!!

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
don't let them fob you off insist the car is rectified or replaced., remember the cherished promised and use it too your advantage.

Not had the trouble you've had but last month I threatened rejection of mine after 1 year and 20.000 miles because MINI refused to honour a warranty issue, surprise surprise when the threat was made along with trading standard everything was fixed within the hour :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts