MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken a new MINI abroad yet? If so, what did you do about headlight conversion? I assume the usual dodge with black tape is no good since there aren't any markings on the clear lenses. My local dealer - Woolaston - seemed rather uncertain about the procedure. Any advice or information would be welcome.

John M

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
John M,
Havn't picked my car up yet, a week or so to go. I will be taking it abroad a couple of times this year I hope. As with my mini, I didn't alter the headlights as no-one else bothered doing it !
If you are a tickler then I'd be inclined to but some of the stick on deflectors. As for me I'm just gonna go !

Where are you planning on going BTW ?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Two options here, 1st use one of the stick on yellow refractors that bend the beam, or 2nd do nothing like most people who come from here and go there:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'm off to Scandanavia where doing nothing is an expensive option. My next trip is Esbjurg - Copenhagen - Malmo - Oslo. Headlights have to be on at all times. The police sit at the gate when you leave the boat - if they can't see "converted" lights, they radio ahead and you get a 500 Krona fine a couple of kilometres down the road. But I suppose you could use the spotlights as "marker" lights like some Volvos have.
Has anyone tried to get an official MINI conversion kit as an accessory?

John

·
Registered
612 Posts
Good old Scandinavians, they don't muck about do they? Try the yellow refracting stickers normally available at ferry terminal petrol stations. I guess you could always approach MINI for a set of European head lamp units to be switched over before your trip and back again when you return. The units just clip in and out half an hour job for a dealer and worth the various 500 krona fines you might accumulate.

·
Registered
334 Posts
JohnM said:
Thanks for the tips. I'm off to Scandanavia where doing nothing is an expensive option. My next trip is Esbjurg - Copenhagen - Malmo - Oslo. Headlights have to be on at all times. The police sit at the gate when you leave the boat - if they can't see "converted" lights, they radio ahead and you get a 500 Krona fine a couple of kilometres down the road. But I suppose you could use the spotlights as "marker" lights like some Volvos have.
Has anyone tried to get an official MINI conversion kit as an accessory?

John
Likewise, I'nm off to Scandinavia. Have tried to get the MINI conversion kit, but was told it was unavailable throughout Europe at the moment. So, I bought a kit from Halfords and haven't got a clue where to fit it on the lights. I'm going to ask my dealer about it tomorrow....

Will let you know if I get a decent answer!

kjs

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
Try this!

This was what I did when I took Apple to France the weekend before last.

I bought a pair of "universal" deflectors that shaped like trapeziums. I turned on the headlights when the car was stationary pointing towards the garage door. I then placed the deflectors onto the headlamps in various position until I found one position that I believed deflected the most leftward-pointing lights.

The position was 9 o'clock (look at the car from the front), with the highest point of the trapezium (the widest end) just covering a dot on the lens about one-third down from the top, and the base of the trapezium resting just above the 4th line (short, counting from top downwards).
Sorry, no photos as I do not have a digi-cam.

Not very scientific, however, I believe it worked OK. Put it this way, I was not picked up by the French police, and no French drivers complained!!!

Hope this helps.

DK ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Cheers DK.
I had a bash at the "garage door" routine earlier this evening and come up with much the same.

kjs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts