MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cabrio on order and one of the first mods I will make is replacing the driver's mirror
(left side) with a convex one. I did this on an S2000 and it made a major improvement in visibility. Does anyone know if the left hand side mirror from the UK would fit a US spec car and if you have heated mirrors what difference would that make? Thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The passenger mirrors in the US are convex and have the warning "objects are closer than they appear" on it. Maybe this is a DOT requirement and the convex mirror is only on US spec cars. It did make a big difference on an S2000 and many owners replaced their driver's mirror with ones from Japan. How are the outside mirrors heated? Do they have coils in them?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Jpit,

I can tell you that the 'convex' mirror on the passenger side of my MCSC doesn't help with the blind spots at all. You should just wait until you receive your car before ordering new mirrors. You'll find it won't help with this car.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
My only gripe is that my passenger side mirror glass fell out when I went over a bump the other day - try driving the Cabrio with the roof up and no wing mirror for a bit - scary!

It'll be replaced tomorrow when Minerva gets her winter tyres fittted....

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think I may have a solution for the passenger side "blind spot" if there is indeed a problem...personally I have never had a problem of blind spots in a car that could not be solved by positioning the wing mirrors...
but IF there is a problem...
I pick up my MCSC tomorrow and I have already ordered a couple of these:

http://www.lightinsight.com/our_product.htm

I am planning on fitting one vertically at the rear edge of the passenger rear side window so that when I look over my shoulder with the windows up I should be able to see "round the corner"
I will report back once I have fitted the lens and have also checed out how well it does whenthe window is rolled up and down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ooooh! I use the Lightinsight for the intended use on the top of the windshield. Never thought about using it on the back side of the passenger window. That is a GREAT idea! I look forward to hearing if it works or not. :)

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Fascinating - looking forwards to hearing the result (and seeing some photos?) If it's good, I'll maybe put in a bulk order for Luxembourg.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just picked up my MCS Convertible 4 hours ago.
No blind spot problem so far but I haven't put the top up yet :)
When the Lightinsight arrives I'll fit it and take some comparative photos to show if it works

·
Registered
295 Posts
To dalboyne,
Ian I could ask the same about a jock in Luxembourg - did you just go there for the Radio (Radio luck - lucky - Luxembourg (probably before your time))
Moved here 14 years ago - I worked for Rank Xerox in U.K. then did a permanent transfer to Xerox Corporation in the U.S. I have been with them 28 years..
John

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Hey bigyin - I'm just about old enough to remember listening to Radio Lux in the dark in Inverness!

I was working for a bank in London, was transferred to Luxembourg in early 2000 "just for 2 years", then became permanent here, then "released" when the downturn hit....now looking for the next big thing!

Good luck with the lightinsight - I've already been in touch to suss out shipping to Europe, and will hold order pending your field trial!

Ian

PS - Nice spec on your new car - looking forward to the photos!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts