MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, I did a search without success.

Does the Cooper Convertable feel noticeably slower than the hardtop? and if so under what circumstances?

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
88 Posts
Convertible same speed as Hatch

Erik, Having driven all the different versions of MINIs, and having owned 3 so far, I would say that without a stop watch, the Convertible is as fast as the other 2005 MINI Cooper and Cooper S hatches. The Convertible is only 200-300 lbs heavier. The new gearbox in the 5 speed is a little different in gearing, yielding more speed sooner. I don't know what 0-60 is in '05 cars yet. The Cooper S has a totally reworked gearbox, with first, second and third being noticeably faster in acceleration, at the sacrifice of 2 miles per gallon on the highway. The top end speeds are the same as they have been, governed to 125 for a 5 speed, and 136 for a Cooper S. I can't wait for my next Cooper S, it's going to be a convertible in April, when my current lease expires. I have the MC40 now. Car #2/1000..awesome ride with too much appeal to the police radar and laser units. Next time I will get a stealthier color. Enjoy the ride Erik, you'll never regret it. Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got "Stealth Pure Silver"

fdnypd said:
Next time I will get a stealthier color.

Scott
Stealth is definitely an asset with S, as I have been driving like a crazed madman ever since I picked up my MINI and loving every moment. So far I've evaded all storm troopers :p !

Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
ZenAudio said:
Stealth is definitely an asset with S, as I have been driving like a crazed madman ever since I picked up my MINI and loving every moment. So far I've evaded all storm troopers :p !

Mike

HA! Stormtroopers!

Back in the day we used to refer to the Crown-Vics as "Impirials". Same reference.

"You don't need to see his papers....."

Please step out of the car sir.

Dennis

·
Owner & Motoring Advisor
158 Posts
05 Coop S 0-60: 6.8s
05 Coop S Cnv 0-60: 7.0s
(Factory numbers)
I don't recall the 5 speeds off hand, but the convertible's extra 200 lbs is like an extra passenger or two, so it'll be a little slower, but not so much you have to worry about it unless your drag racing a hardtop of the same model :p

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
I have just spent the morning in a MCSC and to be honest the revisions actually make it feel faster than my old MCS.....very impressive :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts