MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello all

is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the convertible is more economical than the tin top ?

i had a 03 cooper tin top and changed to a october 04 cooper convertible.

i used to get 195 - 200 miles around london in my tin top but now i get around 230 - 240 miles in and around london on a full tank in my cooper convertible

i am amazed...any body else found this ???

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
I had a One convertable from April to October, I got 44 mpg regularly over the19,000 miles I did during the time it was in my possession, In London it actually went up to 46 on one occasion, and I never hung around in it either. I've got a Tin top Cooper now, only 36 mpg from that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Same here, but I've been pleasently surprised with the economy so far (never owned a tin top so can't compare with that)

Mixed driving - dual carriageway/town and I avg 80+ on dual carriageways, roof down 80+% of the time, and they rate that adds 10% to the consumptin and I'm getting 35mpg+, 350 or more miles to the tank and the engines only got 2300 miles on it so should improve even more....

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
I've got the opposite...went from 28-30 mpg in my tin top to around 24 mpg in the convertible. But that could also have to do with the fact that I now have an S :p

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
dee said:
hello all

is it just me or has anyone else noticed the convertible is more economical han the tin top ?

i had a 03 cooper and changed to a october 04 cooper convertible.

i used to get 195 - 200 miles around london in my tin top but now i get around 230 - 240 miles in and around london on a full tank in my cooper convertible

i am amazed...any body else found this ???
Are you sure that your friends aren't pulling the old Gas Mileage Trick...the one in which they add a bit of fuel to your car every other day so you think you're getting fantastic mileage...you brag and carry on...then they start taking fuel out on the same basis and you start moaning and complaining...then they come clean with you about it and you never speak to them again?

Just wondering

Peter..in Denver

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
I'm reading this, thinking "are they thinking of all the money one would save by not seeing a shrink, but getting in the car and driving instead?" Because you guys SURELY can't mean gas money.

I'm at 28 mpg in my S with a 15% pulley, etc etc, and my daughter is about 32 in her MC.

I'm expecting 24-25 in the MCSC in a few weeks, when it arrives.

HOW DO YOU PUSH THOSE NUMBERS you've mentioned? Do you coast up to lights and have the old "Fred Flintstone running hatch" on the bottom of the cars?

:)

DUCTTAPE

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
Would not having the AC make much difference to fuel? I ahve a hard top MC but generally ahve my AC on a lot, but if you guys are having your tops down, then maybe you aren't using AC? Who knows!

julesx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am telling you its true......

I have only filled my cooper cabrio up twice since having it and it has 508 miles on the clock.

The car is now just about on empty and came with 1 mile on the clock

I only drive in and around london so that is approx 250 miles on each tank of petrol, I expect it would be more if I went on motorways

Anybody with a pre 04 production tin top cooper want to challenge me ????

FACT...... THE COOPER CABRIO IS MORE ECONOMICAL THAN A TIN TOP COOPER

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too am getting more miles per gallon from my 04 mcsc than my 02 mcs. However I also believe that the 04 mcs is more economical than the 02 mcs was. So it looks as if the mcs has been improved all round.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Paul Mullett said:
The One convertible we did a LOT of miles in (Southern Spain to the UK then around the UK and regular "driving") was not as good on fuel as Abi's MINI One, and was also considerably harder to get and keep going due to the weight/power ratio.

Paul, with all due respect I am not talking about a mini one convertible.....i am talking about a cooper convertible vs its tin top twin

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also noticed on a recent trip to the states that even your super unleaded fuel is only around 93 octane, where our super over here is around 98 octane. When I put shell optimax in my car I get more miles from the tank than I do when I just put normal unleaded in!!!! Maybe this and a smaller gallon in the states is why you don't get as many.

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
The technical part of me now says the correct calculation is how many miles per dollar/pound of gas spent.

The larger the gallon, the more it should cost. The closer to the wells, the less the gallon should cost. The higher the octane, the more it should cost.

Is it safe to assume, at 93 octane, one US gallon yields as much milage on the west side of the Atlantic as on the East? Or, one Imperial gallon scores as much over there as one imperial gallon would over here, if it were available?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.