MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I'm thinking of getting a used Mini, and am unsure whether to buy a convertible or saloon. My main issue is volume levels. I suffer from very bad tinnitus which is made worse by noise. Does anyone have experience of the different noise levels between the saloon and convertible (roof up) at motorway speeds (70mph UK)? I would only drive roof down on slow country roads where the noise (together with my ear defenders) would probably be ok.Any help very much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
If you suffer from tinnitus then I'd probably stay away from soft tops to be honest

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
Noise level is very good on the mini convertible, wind noise is nothing compared to my 306 cabriolet. I have never been in a tintop version, so don't know how they compare. Best bet is try a test drive in one and see how you find it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We have just bought a convertible having come from a mgtf and the noise level is much less in the mini, also my partner also has tinitus and we have been out today for 3 hrs with the top down and she says it is fine for her, so really you need to go and try one for yourself to be sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had the hard top cooper before i got cooper s convertible and i found noise when driving very similar, also with top down and diffuser fitted it all seems very calm in the cabin.

Best way is probably test drive one

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have just bought a convertible having come from a mgtf and the noise level is much less in the mini, also my partner also has tinitus and we have been out today for 3 hrs with the top down and she says it is fine for her, so really you need to go and try one for yourself to be sure.
I had an MG TF too - loving the mini and the room it affords me. >:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
The noise with the top down is loud and the back draft is annoying but being cheap I made my own deflector using the same mounting points as the factory one but at a far far cheaper cost. I used a piece of plexiglass with some holes of various sizes cut through as the deflector which I mounted to a PVC pipe frame. It has made a world of difference both with sound levels and wind flow. And I am able to keep it in place with top up or down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts