MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just traded my MINI Cooper in for a MINI Cooper Convertible - LOVE IT!!
However I have noticed a "snag" in the roof material, exactly the same on both sides. It's 17cm in from the rear window & 13cm up from the trim. It looks as if it's been catching on something when the roof goes up & down. The car is only 4 years old, has anyone else got/seen this? :puzzled:

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Welcome to MINI 2

Very common problem - lots of threads on here about it

Did you buy it from a MINI dealer - if so get back to them, they know all about the issues with worn roof fabric.

Waits for Minicabrio to come along and add all of the details

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys for the replys and welcome note.

Have found some more threads on this, since posting mine and have noticed it's a common problem. The roof on the whole is in good condition and I didn't notice the snags when I bought the car on 8th Nov (from a garage but not a MINI dealer).

It was due a TLC service so took it to my local BMW dealer and asked them to have a look at the roof. They said I need a new one!! It's not what I would expect for a 4yr old car, so was thinking along the lines that there must be a fault causing it, on questioning this with the dealer they said the roof had probably been left down for long periods of time. To me it looks as if the material is catching on something, can't see that leaving the roof down for long periods of time would cause this. Do you think it's worth battling with MINI to get this sorted??

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Yes, if you've just brought it then they should fix this, under your warranty as it is the reason I got rid of my convertible, I had 3 or 4 new fabrics in 2 years of owership.

Oh and once you warranty runs out make sure you get more, someone like warranty direct is worth a try so that this remains covered, as its not just the fabric which is know to fail with normal use and its all expensive to have work done on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts