MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya!

When my 2004 Cooper S Works was serviced in Feb 08 I was recommended to have the coolant changed, I didnt do this at the time

I have extended warranty for the car, is it important that I get this done

Its £72

Thanks

Chelle

·
British Racing Dirt
579 Posts
yes, if not for peace of mind then you technically void the warranty by not keeping up the correct maintenance levels. edit - assuming it was scheduled for a change

Antifreeze loses its ability to stop freezing over a period of time. If it freezes in your engine block and the ice expands a breaks something then it will be a very expensive fix

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
yes, if not for peace of mind then you technically void the warranty by not keeping up the correct maintenance levels. edit - assuming it was scheduled for a change

Antifreeze loses its ability to stop freezing over a period of time. If it freezes in your engine block and the ice expands a breaks something then it will be a very expensive fix
I agree, good advice.

·
Registered
352 Posts
72 quid seems reasonable from a dealer

Don't bother trying to do it yourself as I did on sunday
It's a complete B*****d as the engine drain plug is behind the exhaust manifold

·
Registered
296 Posts
it would almost be stupid to not have it done at the dealership. £72 to protect the car which you probably paid £7-8k for is peanuts.

So, go for it!

·
I Love My MINI!
716 Posts
Does anyone know how often should the coolant be changed? I can't seem to find it in the service book.

Thanks

Inga

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts

£72 to protect the car which you probably paid £7-8k for is peanuts.

So, go for it!
^^ Got to agree with them. :) Good advice - get the coolant changed. ;) :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Should I buy the coolant from the MINI dealer? or can I use any brand? and how many liters (or gallons) does it take? :puzzled:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just returned from the MINI dealer where I purchased a 1.5L bottle of BMW Anti-freeze and Anti-corrosive for radiators (Free from nitrate) and the main ingredient is Ethane-1,2-diol and comparing it with my regular anti-freeze (Peak brand) I see that the main ingredient is Ethylene Glycol, so I am not so sure if those two can be mixed.

The only drawback is that the MINI Anti-freeze is three times more expensive than the regular Anti-freeze, but I think my MINI is worth it. :D

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Mmmmmmm :puzzled:

My S will soon turn 4 and I asked the dealership to give me a price for this while having an MOT.......

I was told by the master tech that MINI's post-2003 do not need their coolant changed every 4 years.......apparently the manual was never updated.

I have a good relationship with and trust this service centre + I have the full BMW extended warranty.

They are quite happy to give me this in writing.......so now I'm confused :puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts