MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently purchased a 2007 Mini Cooper S for my partner. Over the past week we have been having coolant issues. The water in the expansion tank is boiling and steaming hot. I took the car to my local garage and they tested for head gasket failure but this came back all clear, no gases in the water, no water in the oil, no white smoke out the exhaust. No engine temp warning light is coming on either. The thermostat and housing has been changed but this didn’t solve the issue. The garage bled the system and the car seemed ok for 2 days but then the same happened again. I have noticed that the heaters go cold just before the water starts boiling in the expansion tank then steam comes out. When I unscrew the cap the water seems to just disappear rapidly and there’s what sounds like a electrical werring noise coming from the thermostat side of the engine. When I top the water back up and start the car all seems fine. The heaters seem to be cold when the car is just at idle but then get hotter if I rev the car of drive it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi I recently purchased a 2007 Mini Cooper S for my partner. Over the past week we have been having coolant issues. The water in the expansion tank is boiling and steaming hot. I took the car to my local garage and they tested for head gasket failure but this came back all clear, no gases in the water, no water in the oil, no white smoke out the exhaust. No engine temp warning light is coming on either. The thermostat and housing has been changed but this didn’t solve the issue. The garage bled the system and the car seemed ok for 2 days but then the same happened again. I have noticed that the heaters go cold just before the water starts boiling in the expansion tank then steam comes out. When I unscrew the cap the water seems to just disappear rapidly and there’s what sounds like a electrical werring noise coming from the thermostat side of the engine. When I top the water back up and start the car all seems fine. The heaters seem to be cold when the car is just at idle but then get hotter if I rev the car of drive it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Also the radiator fan seems to go on and off very randomly

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
the whirrr sound will be aux water pump ie fitted to cooper s cars and fail for a past time they circulate water throught the turbo when switch car off if noisy its on last legs link below shows the pump
also common for water pump pulley and rubber to break away pumps slips, also just because there is no positive test on sniff test dont mean its not a gasket or head issue or even a turbo water jacket issue

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Also the radiator fan seems to go on and off very randomly
rad fan will come on and off if any fault codes on ecu as well, when housing was changed was it a genuine one if not have see so many bad cheap housings, also there is a update for the housing link below

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply, the thermostat housing was bought from euro car parts and yes there is a fault showing on the dash board. How else could I test the head gasket other than what the garage has done ?

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
euro use aftermarket parts a lot of the time, mini/psa have released the latest thermostat housing due to high amount of factory ones breaking down.. need a diagnostics tool first off with live data autocom cdp plus off ebay best value look for the one that shows a green double circuit board in the vci part, with this can use live data get a idea of what is doing what ie can see when piloted thermostat is opening etc, also any codes it will clear and read and reset them without something like this its near impossible to get a proper view of the systems to work it all out if that makes sense,, i picked up a 2007 cooper s JCW yesterday with a misfire, after diagnoses found upstream 02 sensor fault, found cps fault found coil pack intermittent on number 4 and misfires on 4 etc,, so the guy had put new plugs new cps sensor new coil packs dear of him,, still same issues,, i was with the car for 20 minutes and now know its got no compression i also know its piston ring/piston damage by also doing a wet test as well i also know its common for timing chain to stretch and that was the beginning of the issues ie car driven with retarded timing over time has over heated the combustion side of the engine causes a over heat that has damaged internals, i'll stick some pics of the aftermath when i get it a part,, it might even by the head gasket melted as well,, this car has done 58,000 miles got full bmw service history lady owner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts