MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 Mini Cooper R56 with 3800 miles on the clock.

For a couple of week, i've noticed that the engine coolant level has been low so have topped it up a couple of times. After the second top-up, in less than a week (~200 miles), it is just below the minimum marker on the reservoir again.

I can't see or think of anywhere obvious that it is leaking from. It also always seems to drop to this level then not decrease any further.

Also, I notice that to the left and up from the reservoir, their is a small patch of some fluid on one of the engine pieces, again with no trail of leak. This is what is shown in the attached photo.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 2004 Cooper does exactly the same with the coolant level, you top it up and it always settles just below the min mark, as long as i can see some coolant it is ok i think its just finding its own level.

Cant make out any fluid on any engine parts in the pic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.

I took my Mini to my local Sytner dealership and they found the issue to be far more serious. I turns out that the water pump had packed up AND cracked, hence the loss of water. Amazingly the engine didn't overheat though!

Turns out there has been a recall on the pumps so you might want to look into it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks i will take a look, like you say funny it doesn't overheat ( temp gauge goes up to middle and never alters even when sat in traffic) i know this has been like it for a couple of years at least because the daughter would ask if it was ok. Once topped up it would drop to that level quickly and then just stay there, but i will check water pump and was also going to check thermostat housing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just adding another question to this.

I had my pump replaced when the recall came out. Never had any overheating issues until now.

I notice that every time i drive my R56 the coolant level in the reservoir drops to empty. I noticed it when i got the overheating warning on the dash. Since then i have to top off the reservoir every time i take it out.

I don't see any leaks on the ground or around the reservoir. Any thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
You need to get a leak down test done on the system fairly quickly to make sure there isn't a head gasket problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So if I got a misfire code on 3 of the four cylinders. That might be the culprit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
RunL0st
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing