MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My daughters 2005 mini one (40k) has developed a leak, Just had a quick look and the seems to be a lot of water stainage around the rear of the engine were the heater supply and return hoses are . But doesn't seem to be coming from those pipes. Largest concentration of stainage seems to be around the lower exhaust shield area

Get to the point :D......... anyone had a problem like this. No dealers open today to look at it. Seems to be losing around a header tank full every 100 mile or so

Thanks In advance

Fergy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it not SC'ed it a one

No not the header or its pipe , as the collant level is droping in the engine after the header is empty. Looks like will have to wait till Tuesday for the dealer

Thanks

Fergy

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2003 Cooper had a coolant leak and was emptying the header tank every couple of weeks. There was no sludge in the oil so it must have been a leak from a hose or joint rather than a gasket into the engine. I used a bottle of Barrs Leaks (a product I have used on and off for over 30 years now). Result - header tank does not leak any more.

When I first used it 30 years ago, I was told by a friend it was microscopic slices of leather in a suspension that 'clotted' around a leak to seal it. I dont know if it is the same now but do know it has always worked on minor leaks whenever I have used it.

PH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the dealer has reported back and its the thermostat housing

A common fault I'm being told

Being fixed under warranty

Thanks Guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts