MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I think I may have a slow leak with my coolant tank. I can't seem to find any dripping but after being away for a week I came back checked my coolant levels and the tank was empty.

Right now I'm only using water and don't want to spend money on 50/50 antifreeze and coolant combo if it's leaking out.

The car stays at a stable temp when driving it and doesnt over heat yet the tank seems to empty faster than i expected :/

Has anybody else experienced this issue?
Is there a common leak location for my mini r52 reguarding coolant?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
those tanks are know to split, also not a good thing to run a car with no antifreeze in it as the antifreeze has additives in it to prevent corrosion and helps cool the engine as well.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
As Mike says, the tanks develop splits - usually you can see the white marks, residual on or near it. Given the heat in the engine bay it evaporates very quickly after it has leaked out, so you tend not to see' water'. They shouldn't use any coolant. And Mike is also correct - antifreeze isn't just to stop freezing. You can keep putting plain water in while you diagnose and fix it at this time of year but once sorted you need to re-fill all of it with the correct 50/50 mixture.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As Mike says, the tanks develop splits - usually you can see the white marks, residual on or near it. Given the heat in the engine bay it evaporates very quickly after it has leaked out, so you tend not to see' water'. They shouldn't use any coolant. And Mike is also correct - antifreeze isn't just to stop freezing. You can keep putting plain water in while you diagnose and fix it at this time of year but once sorted you need to re-fill all of it with the correct 50/50 mixture.
Ah excellent, thank you. I'll be sure to take out the tank and inspect it correctly and any hoses connecting to it.

That was the plan, when I first bought the car the tank was emptyish (with water from previous owner) and I refilled with water to get it home and as I said it seemed to be used fast so the second I get this diagnosed and resolved I'll be sure to use the 50/50 Coolant.

Thank you both for your reply!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diagnosis Update

Ah excellent, thank you. I'll be sure to take out the tank and inspect it correctly and any hoses connecting to it.

That was the plan, when I first bought the car the tank was emptyish (with water from previous owner) and I refilled with water to get it home and as I said it seemed to be used fast so the second I get this diagnosed and resolved I'll be sure to use the 50/50 Coolant.

Thank you both for your reply!
those tanks are know to split, also not a good thing to run a car with no antifreeze in it as the antifreeze has additives in it to prevent corrosion and helps cool the engine as well.
Just a quick update on the diagnosis with some images attached.

It was a slow leak on an old corroded radiator on the left hand side. A fairly cheap and easy to do repair but the whole system will require flushing and cleaning due to rust where previous owners have only used water and it being left in the tank.

thank you to all that helped!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,134 Posts

It was a slow leak on an old corroded radiator on the left hand side. A fairly cheap and easy to do repair but the whole system will require flushing and cleaning due to rust where previous owners have only used water and it being left in the tank.

if i were you do pump and thermostat as well

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

if i were you do pump and thermostat as well
Good to see you've diagnosed the problem and can get it sorted. Thanks for posting the outcome.
Not a problem!

Ah yes! Good idea, i’ll Be sure to replace those parts too. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts