MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking directly from above, behind the engine is what looks to be a coolant expansion tank. The coolant (if that’s what it is) is at a decent level between the min and max marks but it appears to have somehow been getting out as there are white dried liquid marks spattered round the tank.

I’ve obviously kept an eye on the temp gauge and the temperature never falters and like I said the level of the coolant is always well above the min mark.

How could it be getting out and is it serious?

Thanks.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Could be getting out from the join between the top and bottom sections of the tank or from the cap - both of which happened to me and were replaced (more than once too!!!)

My temp gauge didnt change either...

Can get a pressure test on the coolant system to see where the fault is...

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
Yeah just had mine in for this. No sign of leaking apart from the green goo on the floor in the garage, had to replace the tank. No sign of temperature change though. However i doubt there would be until it was too late!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think you'll find the Cap on the header tank has a pressure release built in.

It's designed as a safety aspect, if the pressure of the system gets too high, rather than blowing stuff up, it releases pressure through the cap.

It could be that the cap is faulty, or there is a fault causing the cooling system pressure to become too high.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
I think you'll find the Cap on the header tank has a pressure release built in.

or there is a fault causing the cooling system pressure to become too high.
Thats true - but it can still develop a fault and need replacing...

What could be the problem / fault causing the pressure in the cooling system to get too high? A block in the system?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gave the tank a clean, checked the level (all ok as before) put the cap back on making sure it was tight (am sure it was before as it didn’t come off easy), gave the car a spanking and no leaked coolant afterwards??!!

So not sure what’s up, the car is booked in at Mini on Wednesday so I’ll report back following.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was a leak in the tank around the lid area after all. The whole tank was replaced under warranty, so problem hopefully solved.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Glad its getting sorted - make sure they give it a good clean so that all the coolant residue is gone so that if you see any fresh residue you know its a new problem and can get it fixed (that make sense?) I got mine changed twice and the cap too...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts