MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Mini in July from a main dealer.

It's been back in for a couple of things, but one things keeps coming up....

It was losing coolant - it want back to be repaired, to which they did a pressure check, found a leak, and it was supposed to be fixed.

However, a month later, and it has dipped quite a lot once more.

Basically, is this normal? I know all engines are different - does the Mini engine use a fair bit of coolant, and require regular topping up? Its only come about because my previous vehicles could go for far longer periods without being filled.

BTW - it's a Mini One Seven, on an '06 plate.

All help welcome!

·
Purple a Fruit
91 Posts
A couple of things could be going on.
1. The expansion bottle could be leaking.
2. The seals on the water pump could be going out, but you won't see that until the car cools down.
3. Themostat housing could be leaking too.

I hope some of this advice helps.;)

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Was it in one of your threads on a different subject that I posted this earlier? Not sure, anyway.

As mentioned expansion bottles can crack, but I have always believe this to be a problem with early cars.

Thermostat housing is a common fault, and MINI have modified the part to solve this. No recall though. Had this done on mine a few weeks ago.

·
GP0714
64 Posts
Mine is currently in (as we speak) for a similar problem. Mini Cooper S JCW GP -

Not a similar problem, exactly the same problem - they told me over the phone that they are replacing the thermostat (what that means - Nobody knows)

So when i get it back - tonight or tomorrow morning - we will see -

Good Luck with yours -

Ric

P.S - Get it to a dealer before your warranty runs out :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last time it was in, the did the thermostat and thermostat housing!

Since then - about 4 weeks, and under 800 miles later, the coolant was right down way below where it should be again.

Oh...I did mention this in another post earlier, about my rights as a consumer, only because after 3 1/2 months, I seem to give the car back every other week to get repaired! I was trying to see if there was any way of maybe getting rid back to Mini.

I couldn't find anything in the search - I'm probably doing it wrong! Any ideas?

As for the coolant...I at a bit of a loss. I'll book it back in again in the meantime, and see what they come up with this time!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem with my Mini one. It was leaking coolant and went in to have the themostat changed, then about 3 weeks later the coolant was down again, it was an airlock when they filled the system up again.

·
Having Fun Fun Fun
5 Posts
I have a Mini cooper Park Lane 06 plate and I seem to be having the same problem losing coolant, I thought this might be normal as it does not seem to be a lot. But reading this thread I think I need to take it back to BMW and get it seen to. Many thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a Mini cooper Park Lane 06 plate and I seem to be having the same problem losing coolant, I thought this might be normal as it does not seem to be a lot. But reading this thread I think I need to take it back to BMW and get it seen to. Many thanks for the advice.
Indeed, you need to have your car checked by the dealer as soon as possible. While the leak may appear as tiny initially, it will eventually worsen and finally result in a sudden loss of a significant amount of coolant, depending on the cause of the leak. On my previous car (R53 MCS) both the thermostat and the thermostat housing needed replacing. I had to carry a gallon of coolant with me to top up the level every 50-80 miles. I noted, however, if you do not rev the engine too much, the leaking becomes less worse (though persists).

The worst that can happen is a sudden loss of all or substantially all your coolant, as that will ruin the engine instantly. The car's cooling system is a high pressure system and faults in the system do get worse naturally. If it turns out that there have been leaks for a while of which you were aware, then this may affect your warranty rights. The owners manual states very clearly (probably for that reason) that if coolant levels are down, there is a leak and must be checked by a dealer asap. You probably do not wish to be in a position where the manufacturer is holding it against you that you kept driving the car whilst knowing that there was a fault.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I had the same problem with my Mini one. It was leaking coolant and went in to have the themostat changed, then about 3 weeks later the coolant was down again, it was an airlock when they filled the system up again.
Airlocks are common when refilling the MINI coolant system after a repair job. The procedure to bleed out all air with heater fully on is often missed by mechanics in a hurry or because they don't know or care and just fill the system up and send it out the garage asap. It then takes several days for the air to escape, each time leaving the coolant level down and or the engine overheating.
The full procedure and location of all the bleed screws is detailed in the Haynes MINI Manual page 1.16 and is slightly different depending on One/Cooper or Cooper S.

·
Having Fun Fun Fun
5 Posts
Indeed, you need to have your car checked by the dealer as soon as possible. While the leak may appear as tiny initially, it will eventually worsen and finally result in a sudden loss of a significant amount of coolant, depending on the cause of the leak. On my previous car (R53 MCS) both the thermostat and the thermostat housing needed replacing. I had to carry a gallon of coolant with me to top up the level every 50-80 miles. I noted, however, if you do not rev the engine too much, the leaking becomes less worse (though persists).

The worst that can happen is a sudden loss of all or substantially all your coolant, as that will ruin the engine instantly. The car's cooling system is a high pressure system and faults in the system do get worse naturally. If it turns out that there have been leaks for a while of which you were aware, then this may affect your warranty rights. The owners manual states very clearly (probably for that reason) that if coolant levels are down, there is a leak and must be checked by a dealer asap. You probably do not wish to be in a position where the manufacturer is holding it against you that you kept driving the car whilst knowing that there was a fault.
Thanks for the advice, I contacted my local dealer where I bought my MINI from as its still under warranty they want it in straight away, so its booked in for tomorrow for them to check it over, hope its sorted out quickly as I want to go to London this weekend for the Tunnel run and was getting worried about coolant loss for such a journey

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Also the stock rad is total pap! Mines rusted away and has several leaks, from the rad itself :grrr:

Check that its not coming from there, why not try popping some rad weld into the system following the instructions. This goes into the water system and flow around till it finds o2 (a hole) at which point it plugs into it and hardens to block the leak. Try some, it worked for a while on mine.

Bu eventually you'll need to do a proper job. Ps how long between it being filled to correct level and it dropping below the swirly plastic lower limit markers? If its days then something is wrong, if its months then its nothing dramatic.

·
Having Fun Fun Fun
5 Posts
Hi, Got my MINI back today and yes the themostat had gone, also it was leaking around the themostat housing and even the expansion bottle was leaking. They have repeared it and then tell me this is a problem with most MINI's. They had five to do today.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi, Got my MINI back today and yes the themostat had gone, also it was leaking around the themostat housing and even the expansion bottle was leaking. They have repeared it and then tell me this is a problem with most MINI's. They had five to do today.
Glad you got it sorted out in time :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing here now, mines in now for a once over to sort out my leak, we have now diagnosed that it is coolant, now that we have managed to trap some and check it, hopefully be sorted tomorrow. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts