MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 2013 Countryman S All4 and have recently replaced my Coolant Thermostat housing because it started leaking.
During the replacement, I had to also change out the upper hose and also purchase the wiring adapter so that the connections would mate with the newer style Thermostat housing sensors.
So everything went together well and after filling the system and bleeding out the air, all seems fine except.....

Since there's no coolant temperature gauge in the car, I connected my ODBII wifi tool to the car and proceeded to get readings thru the app on my phone.
I've noticed the following. At a constant highway speed of about 70mph, the coolant temperature runs high at 210 to 212 degrees, however, if I put the car in "Sport Mode" the coolant temperature gradually lowers down to 175 degrees, which in my experience is considered only slightly below normal of a 180 to 190 range. If I turn OFF the sport mode, it then climbs back up to 212'sh. ???

I'd like to know why this happens, and why the thermostat can't keep it constant regardless of which mode I'm running in. Any ideas or knowledge of why ?

Thanks,
Dave R.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
220f is 98.8c totally normal the prince engine will go as high as 112c and still cope with it, the thermostat housing is directly controlled by the car ecu the ecu takes the temp readings off the coolant sensor ie the green or brown sensor on the thermo housing,, the thermostat doe not react in real time to heat its electronic ie piloted 12volt controlled via the ecu also the ecu can switch the water pump on and off via a servo on the jockey wheel,, this is all done for emissions and ie dont need to be running all the time faster warm up as well,,, this is why its important to always use a genuine housing and sensor or a genuine febi bilsteen branded one are good as well and slightly cheaper, as for phone apps and data they are only a rough guide and tend to be not totally accurate on some things and also rely on the other sensors in the car to be correct

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,

The thermostat housing I installed was from Bremmen and came with a 3 year warranty, so I thought for $81 US dollars, it was a decent unit at a reasonable price. Time will tell.

Dave

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Thanks Mike,

The thermostat housing I installed was from Bremmen and came with a 3 year warranty, so I thought for $81 US dollars, it was a decent unit at a reasonable price. Time will tell.

Dave
£81 us prob around £50 uk not heard of that brand before hopefully its like febi bilsteen or genuine ones as its really does make a difference. i just put new one on my cooper s i live data'd it on old one got 112c fully open piloted and on the road when going up hill under load would go to 112c then when off throttle its would drp fast to 80c or under this pointed out the housing was sticking and out of wack,, i fitted a febi bilsteen from locale auto factors and the car runs 104c fully open and keeps around 98c most of the time, the old one would lean out the fuelling and cause all kinds of issues with running so important this is correct for every thing to play nice

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Thanks Mike,

Dave
£81 us prob around £50 uk not heard of that brand before hopefully its like febi bilsteen or genuine ones as its really does make a difference. i just put new one on my cooper s i live data'd it on old one got 112c fully open piloted and on the road when going up hill under load would go to 112c then when off throttle its would drp fast to 80c or under this pointed out the housing was sticking and out of wack,, i fitted a febi bilsteen from locale auto factors and the car runs 104c fully open and keeps around 98c most of the time, the old one would lean out the fuelling and cause all kinds of issues with running so important this is correct for every thing to play nice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts