MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, Mini One 2002, first the engine fan started coming on at strange times, like after a 4-mile round trip but not a 45-mile one, then after the engine’s been running about 10 min the temp gauge rises to around three-quarters and then drops to normal where it stays for the rest of the day. No discernible loss of coolant or oil. No sign of the two getting mixed.

Reading this forum the consensus seems to be

1. Flush and bleed the cooling system; if that doesn’t cure it-
2. Replace the thermostat

Our usual garage says flushing/bleeding the cooling system will cause more problems than it will solve.

Any truth in this? Or are they trying to get out of what I gather isn’t the easiest of jobs?

thanks

· Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,620 Posts
I guess they're thinking as crap gets flushed it can expose system vulnerabilities, in that case yes maybe (but unlikely), tbh it's better to know than not, if the system is rotting then it's rotting, avoiding a flush won't help anyone, or maybe they're not very good at bleeding them, there is a bit of a knack to it

· Registered
351 Posts
A 2002 cooling system if not treated to periodic coolant drains/refills or if run with mostly water rather than a 50/50 blend of water/anti-freeze could have some serious sediment issues. (I found an engine in a used truck I bought to have rusted freeze plugs. The truck was used but not 21 years old. I removed one thinking I could just install a new plug. Wrong. The area behind the bad plug was full of rust/sediment. Had to really work to flush the block and radiator and the cooling system of that stuff.)

But I think better to know and deal with this on your own terms on your schedule than at some random time when the cooling system results in a serious overheating condition that likely ruins the engine.

The reluctance of the shop to do a flush of the system may be because the shop has enough experience to know that at some point flushing a severely neglected cooling system is like opening a can of worms. Two cans...

And doesn't want to deal with trying to explain why a "simple" cooling system flush requires to much extra work or perhaps turns up a serious enough problem that to address costs more than the car is worth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts