MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I am sure this subject has been covered more than once but.
My friends daughter has purchased a 2005 convertible mini which keeps emptying the cooling system top up bottle after just a couple of runs of less than 2 miles. There is no visible leaks, no wet carpets. Any ideas please. This has been going since purchase some 2 months.
Just to add there is no emulsion of the engine oil visible.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Common leak is the coolant expansion tank and cap, visually check the coolant expansion tank and cap after driving the car as it might only leak once the system has been pressurised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Knt
Thanks for the reply. But it is not a pressurised expansion tank. It just has a flip cap. In fact I am not sure how the water gets into the cooling system from the (what I call) top up tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Knt
Thanks for the reply. But it is not a pressurised expansion tank. It just has a flip cap. In fact I am not sure how the water gets into the cooling system from the (what I call) top up tank.
Call it what you like, but I think everyone else calls that the screenwash tank ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
It probably would be if it was’nt piped up to the engine cooling system were the pressure cap is at the end of the rocker cover between the rocker cover and the battery. ��

·
cristo
2,784 Posts
1st gen justa cooper has a non pressurized
tank with a round flip lid against the firewall and
the windscreen washer reservoir is behind
the right front wheel well with a long oval lid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cristo thanks for the confirmation. I was beginning to think I was losing it. And I don’t mean the mini c.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well that's embarrassing, admittedly I've spent far more time under gen.2 bonnets, but dis it change part way through the gen.1 run, or is there an upgrade? If I'd ever seen a cap like that before I'd have thought "what the ?" & t would have stuck with me ... :embarrassed3lo:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all.
Knt just one more question due to the leak being quite small if I use the AC system dye and the leak drys out on the hot engine would the dye leave an obvious noticeable stain.?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts