MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mini2 Virgin
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my usual re-mapper says he has almost got the equipment to do an 'invisible' remap via the OnBoard Diagnostic Socket - the usual method on the 1.6D engine involves dismantling the ECU and programming directly to the board - all very visible warrenty/insurance wise !!!

I will post results in mid- August.

I am very used to remaps with this chap (Simon @ E-Maps - Home - Performance car ECU chip tuning and mobile engine remaps) and have had several other cars from Smarts to Touaregs done with him, and was the guinea pig for the first Touareg....I just wish I was on commission for the subsequent referrals from the MyTreg owners forum !!

IMHO - remapping is far, far better than adding tuning boxes, both in terms of economy gains and lack of black smoke under acceleration. My last car (Touareg) ran 50,000m without fault after remapping.....and it consistantly did 28mpg instead of 25mpg which more than paid for the tune, and dropped the 0-60 time from 13 to 9.8 seconds - not bad for 2.5 tonne 4x4.

Watch this Space / Thread !!

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Well, my usual re-mapper says he has almost got the equipment to do an 'invisible' remap via the OnBoard Diagnostic Socket - the usual method on the 1.6D engine involves dismantling the ECU and programming directly to the board - all very visible warrenty/insurance wise !!!

I will post results in mid- August.

I am very used to remaps with this chap (Simon @ E-Maps - Home - Performance car ECU chip tuning and mobile engine remaps) and have had several other cars from Smarts to Touaregs done with him, and was the guinea pig for the first Touareg....I just wish I was on commission for the subsequent referrals from the MyTreg owners forum !!

IMHO - remapping is far, far better than adding tuning boxes, both in terms of economy gains and lack of black smoke under acceleration. My last car (Touareg) ran 50,000m without fault after remapping.....and it consistantly did 28mpg instead of 25mpg which more than paid for the tune, and dropped the 0-60 time from 13 to 9.8 seconds - not bad for 2.5 tonne 4x4.

Watch this Space / Thread !!
We already offer this :)

No re-map is 100% invisible though

·
Boosted
480 Posts
Will, do you think the R56 S will become mappable through the OBD port sooner or later?

·
Mini2 Virgin
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sorry - I didn't mean to state an untruth - I know its been hard to do OBD remaps on this car and many tuners still don't list it on their websites. Maybe you were the first and ahead of the game, in which case you deserve more business from peeps here !!

(90% invisible is better than taking the ECU apart !!!)

·
Registered
140 Posts

so if i'm understanding this correctly, the re-map is 100% invisible meaning that the people at bmw mini garage/your insurers won't know it's been remapped|? Or just physically so you can't see it's been remapped? :puzzled: (thick sounding i know).

·
Shopping
740 Posts
Sorry - I didn't mean to state an untruth - I know its been hard to do OBD remaps on this car and many tuners still don't list it on their websites. Maybe you were the first and ahead of the game, in which case you deserve more business from peeps here !!

(90% invisible is better than taking the ECU apart !!!)

O'oo listen to you.:tongue::tongue: How's things.??:smile:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi there!

I'm also about to do a remap on my dooper, and heard that it could only be done via ecu!

Do you have the sport button? Do you think that with the remap it will loose it's function?

And could you ask if can it be done, having the sport button, and making it on via the sport button, which will make the remap actually only on, when you trigger the sport button?

Thanks and good luck mate!

·
Mini2 Virgin
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK - Remap done and it worked fine.

Basically, the remap has upped torque by 50nm, about 25bhp, and turbo boost just alittle from 1.2 to 1.25 bar.

Results:

Noticeable improvement in 'shove' above 2500 revs, much better pickup in 6th gear on the motorway where it was pretty flat before (which was why I wanted it doing). Car only done 6000 miles and is still pretty tight but managed to hit 60 in under 9.5 secs (though I'm more used to automatics and I'm sure it that can be improved...)

MPG - too early to say - definately not worse though - 66.7mpg on my daily commute today of 40 miles mixed motorway, town, country road driving 'normally' (ie, in traffic so no exceeding any speed limits). I would expect the MPG to follow all my previous cars: 5-10% improvement if driven the same, no improvement if driven faster.....but never worse.

E-maps chap (Simon) prompt and friendly as always - thats the 10th car he has done for me and my colleagues (Smarts, VW',s Mini's, BMW, Peugeot etc) - and he comes to my offices and does it whilst I work.

PS, ScottieCoop - Sorry didn't twig it was you Darling !!! (another forum, another friend)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Had the opportunity to drive another Dooper for the last two days (courtesy car while my air con was being fixed)... have to say it's seriously bad! I was so shocked that it was the same spec car!

I couldn't believe what i was driving, unlike my own Dooper, this car had no punch whatsover. On the motorways in 4/5 or 6th, it didn't pull anywhere near like my own Dooper... weird!

I'm beginning to think my Dooper has been tuned differently when it left the factory floor (similarly to how Cooper S's have different and most times much higher bhp figs!).

I'm beginning to wonder now if it's still worth getting my car remapped for higher bhp and torque as it already may have those values already?!

Did you have a before and after test to see what the stats/figs were?

·
Registered
70 Posts
What kind of cost are we looking at for a remap

·
Mini2 Virgin
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is the remap likely to get erased during a service?
It *CAN* be erased if the dealer flashes the ECU - it only happened once to me before with a VW Touareg, and that was because there was updated software required under a recall.

E-maps came out and reinstalled my remap back on for me for the price of his petrol expenses.:D

I'm guessing the dealer won't do anything thats not absolutely required, especially as the TLC package means they won't get any more cash from you !!!!

·
Mini2 Virgin
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK - have run a tank of fuel through now and these are the results:

BEFORE:
Commuting (20 miles - 12 miles motorway; 5 miles country roads; 3 miles town):
Fast commute (90-ish) = 52 mpg
Slow commute (keeping to all speed limits) = 60 mpg
Big motorway hill in 6th gear = 60mph at start; 85mph at top.

AFTER:
Commuting (20 miles - 12 miles motorway; 5 miles country roads; 3 miles town):
Fast commute (90-ish) = 58 mpg
Slow commute (keeping to all speed limits) = 66 mpg
Big motorway hill in 6th gear = 60mph at start; 105mph at top (shhh!!!)
0-60 = about 9.5 secs (but I have crap clutch control....)

So there you are - about 10% improvement on MPG (as I had with my previous cars), or you can drive faster for barely any MPG penalty.

(NB, this isn't a scientific test, and I'm not responsible if you don't get the same results - I am very happy with my results though, especially as they correlate to my previous experiences with VW's and Smarts.)

PS. I am not connected with / part of / bribed by / E-maps !!!

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
wow that does indeed sound very attractive. I think I'll wait til I've run mine in and maybe had the first service then I might take the plunge! Don't know if anyone here in NI does it, but I'd make the trip over the water for someone with good "personal" (if you can call an internet messageboard personal) recommendations...

·
Mini2 Virgin
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK - had a silly day today....

Went to work in super-duper-eco mode (motorway, 60mph, cruise control)....12 miles later when I got off motorway computer said 88.9mpg - WOW !!!

Came home in super-sporty-fun mode (country lanes, XXmph, sport button on).....19 miles later computer said 48mpg...but WHAT A HOOT 4th GEAR IS !!!!! 40-95mph it just pulls and pulls and pulls.

So now I have 2 cars in one !!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts