MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow owners,

i've recently bought a new petrol cooper clubman auto which i am sending back to Mini as it's an aweful thing to drive around town! i am however, picking up my new cooper D Clubman in a couple of weeks :)

my question is MPG - atm, with 90% town driving i average about 28mpg. this is with 1400 miles on the clock and 17" wheels. on longer journies, if i stick to 70 on motorways i can get about 38mpg, but over all, my combined has never been over 33mpg. does this sound like normal mpg on a new petrol automatic car ?

also, once i pick up the diesel next month, i've seen the book figures, but could anyone tell me what mpg i can realistically expect to get from the diesel please ?

many thanks in advance

Gary

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
as you are doing mostly town driving with a petrol auto this sounds about right for a new engine.

with the diesel auto for the same scenario you should manage 35mpg around town and around 45mpg on the motorway.

an auto will always give you much less mpg than a manual.

Iain

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Iain :)

Appreciate that auto's are much thirstier than their manual counterparts, but i was kind of expecting better than 28 mpg - guess this would improve as the miles clock up.

very much looking forward to getting the diesel in a couple of weeks. what sort of mileage on the clock would the mpg start to stabilise ?

thanks

Gary

·
Registered
178 Posts
Beats my 25 mpg in R56 auto, but I too was shocked.

Iain does the age of the engine make a difference to mpg? What is the standard run-in time before you would expect mpg to improve?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My manual Cooper convertible has done 38.4 mpg over the last 50,000 miles with lots of high speed cruising and not much town work, so 28mpg from an auto in town sounds consistent.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
I get 35 to 40 mpg on a regular basis out of a 2011 Freelander 2 2.2 diesel so I would have thought the MINI would do lots more, appears not, size isnt everything after all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts