MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon

I'm just about to purchase a Mini Cooper D 2.0 auto 2014 (2nd generation I believe) - I'm a little concerned as they seem pretty rare and wondered if there's a reason for that. Or is there known problems?

Thank you
Neil

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
ho a auto gearbox on a 2.0 n47 diesel engine like playing Russian roulette with all the bullets in the gun at same time, unless very very low mileage after 70k its all not if its more of when the day gets ruined

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ho a auto gearbox on a 2.0 n47 diesel engine like playing Russian roulette with all the bullets in the gun at same time, unless very very low mileage after 70k its all not if its more of when the day gets ruined
Thanks Mike

It's got just under 34k on the clock. Is it the same engine that goes in the BMW's?

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
yes its same engine n47 has the timing chain mounted to rear of engine so engine and gearbox out to replace it well serviced ones last 80-100.000 miles most of the time that said have seen many under that 60k if as some when they fail get no warning no rattle just spin on bottom sprocket and they do hen destroy the engine not seen one yet that dont smash the head up as well from valves snapping off, i bought bmw diesels for years i even bought a brad new 3 series 320dm it lasted under 70k before destroying its self, ie was 2007 bmw have updated the tensioners made them longer to push the when they do finally let go more around the 100k mark rather than just fixing it with a better made chain ie duplex type like they used in old days on the 325tds engines which were bullet proof, then they add more insult by moving the cahin to rear of engine to boost their workshops earning i would guess.. all it has done is to stop a lot of people ever buying one ever again,

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
ironically the same pattern they use on prince petrol engines ie thin weak chains and try and fix it with longer tensioner hmm cant say thats a over sight i feel

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
both n47 are same design 1.6 or 2.0 ie post 2010 march, timing chain replacement on then £1800 seems the norm for a garage to charge might get some money off via a smaller garage somewhere,

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
its a lot better as parts are cheaper and fairly easy to work on compared to diesels, do have issues with timing chains hmmm see the pattern here, the turbo n18 engines are best go well not to bad if driven nicely on mpg etc timing chain on cooper s £800 ish depending on who does it, or if DIY £200 in parts every 60-70.000 miles for best results

1 - 9 of 9 Posts