MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2011 Cooper D with the N47 BMW engine and 85k miles. It is the 3rd. time I've had holes blown out of the intake manifold. 1st. time at around 65-70k miles on clock only the manifold was changed then BMW told me it was caused by the ERG valve sticking open so that was changed along with a 2nd. manifold. Yesterday I thought the car had caught fire there was so much smoke and burnt plastic smell. After a few minutes the smoke died away so I took a look a bit closer and found about 6 in. of the intake manifold had burnt/melted away. So it's back to BMW once again. It seems to run aprox 10k mile between burnouts.Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
your dpf filter will be fairly blocked i bet and add a egr valve sticking all that 600c temps and plastic dont go well when on a regen for dpf filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your dpf filter will be fairly blocked i bet and add a egr valve sticking all that 600c temps and plastic dont go well when on a regen for dpf filter.
Hi Mike thanks for your reply. I've just had BMW on the phone. As the EGR valve and intake manifold were changed less than a year ago they will be replaced free of charge. They also told me that the cooling device/exchanger for the ERG is a BMW known defective part this will also be changed free of charge as the car is under 10yrs old. A bit surprising but have not found or read anything about this cooling device. Does this mean anything to you or do you think they are just poking their way through and I'll get another bunch of holes in the next 6 months? Just to add, 90% of my driving is on motorway and 18k + miles a year.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
bmw have a habit of not making any recall or update common info most of time unless its a safety one that hits public papers etc,, even then they do the very minimum to do the right thing by its customers i feel,, the n47 engines from 2007 when brought to book by BBC watchdog blamed the customers rather than fix the issue ie putting and very narrow timing chain at rear of engine knowing it would not last much past warranty time,, i know a guy went in there with petrol 3 series bought it new 3 years 60k needed new piston rings and liners etc,, they got out of paying anything towards it told him he was a young lad so prob beating it around all the time etc, the failures from them since 2006 on all a cars is shocking ,, i now a few techs who work for bmw they all say would never buy one . they still live on a reputation from e36 diesels that were one of the best engines around at the time, 500k engine treated right,, even merc are using single crap made chains and electronics and sensors etc,, prob all made in china and a brand stamped on them,, yes its know issue with egr and inlet manifolds and swirl flaps etc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts