MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cooper D is coming up to 9.5 years old and 87k miles. So, coming into timing chain replacement territory. Whilst I like the car, quotes of circa £2k (including flywheel and clutch) are really starting to call my loyalty into question. I wondering whether it's time to get rid of the car, given I could probably get £2.5k for the car as is it is.

What are others' thoughts? I'm yet to find anyone else who has actually justified spending 75% of the cars value on a preventative replacement so definitely interested in hearing from those that have and how their cars are performing afterwards.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
for years i bought bmw diesels until i got shafted by them on a 3 series i bought brand new treated it well 8k oil changes etc, just over 70k timing chain snapped no warning bmw's excuse was owner abuse etc,, then a few years later bbc watch dog program named and shamed them but still they have never fixed the real issue ie tiny chain,, in fact all their engines have same chain issues discraceful. if you do the chain fit a recon high pressure fuel pump at same time as they do 100k ish and its gearbox out to replace if fails,, if were me i would get as far away from the pending shit that car will be giving someone fairly soon, some fail with no warning no rattles just destroy the engine 4K bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for years i bought bmw diesels until i got shafted by them on a 3 series i bought brand new treated it well 8k oil changes etc, just over 70k timing chain snapped no warning bmw's excuse was owner abuse etc,, then a few years later bbc watch dog program named and shamed them but still they have never fixed the real issue ie tiny chain,, in fact all their engines have same chain issues discraceful. if you do the chain fit a recon high pressure fuel pump at same time as they do 100k ish and its gearbox out to replace if fails,, if were me i would get as far away from the pending shit that car will be giving someone fairly soon, some fail with no warning no rattles just destroy the engine 4K bill
Thanks for the response Mike. You've clearly had a bad experience.

Your response, and the lack of anyone else who seems to be coming forward having done a timing chain on a BMW engined Cooper D, seems to suggest that nobody thinks it's wise to be throwing £2k at this.

I sort of get that, given the relative value of the car to the repair. However, my working hypothesis is that there must be an awful lot of life left in a (timing chain changed) Mini Cooper D on 88k miles and therefore, it might still be worth it. The car will then effectively 'stand me' at £4k ish, and that doesn't seem that bad for a nice 2011 2 owner FSH Cooper D Chilli - looking at the classifieds, I couldn't replace my car for that.

UNLESS, you're all telling me that the timing chain wont be the end of it...that there'll be other major/expensive issues to resolve over next couple of years / 20k miles? Are they that bad?

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
i work in a garage have done most of my life and have had so many dealings with them,, my game with bmw and the 4 year old car that i bought new from them and their level of after care was terrible,, i bought mine it was one of the very first n47 diesels so when mine finally snapped the guide and when i had no other choice than to pull the motor myself and stripped it, hmmm ever tried buying a the very latest spec engine for a bare 4 year old car before they are not cheap,, and to say the old engine engine was destroyed was a under statement so when they do fail it big,, chain kits are not that expensive its the time involved ,, also would also think about clutch and flywheel while its all out,, would also sort the dpf filter with north of 75k miles, also the high pressure fuel pump maybe fit a refurb one while in there, dont get me wrong they are powerful smooth engines when all is well,,, the dpf filter blocks the car them forces a regen and unburnt diesel enters the oil and thins it this also causes more chain wear as well common issues with all diesels and regen processes,,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i work in a garage have done most of my life and have had so many dealings with them,, my game with bmw and the 4 year old car that i bought new from them and their level of after care was terrible,, i bought mine it was one of the very first n47 diesels so when mine finally snapped the guide and when i had no other choice than to pull the motor myself and stripped it, hmmm ever tried buying a the very latest spec engine for a bare 4 year old car before they are not cheap,, and to say the old engine engine was destroyed was a under statement so when they do fail it big,, chain kits are not that expensive its the time involved ,, also would also think about clutch and flywheel while its all out,, would also sort the dpf filter with north of 75k miles, also the high pressure fuel pump maybe fit a refurb one while in there, dont get me wrong they are powerful smooth engines when all is well,,, the dpf filter blocks the car them forces a regen and unburnt diesel enters the oil and thins it this also causes more chain wear as well common issues with all diesels and regen processes,,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike.

I still find it strange that I can't seem to find anyone in internet-land who has actually done a timing chain change on a Cooper D. I guess all the knowledgeable people who inhabit car forums offload them to the unsuspecting? Still, hard to believe there are no 100k+ miles N47 engined Cooper Ds knocking about though.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
i've done plenty of them over the years, just plain ball ache from start to finish,
genuine chain kit below
needed special lock tools
below video of bmw n47 diesel and how to, the mini has same n47 as the bmw brands other cars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts