MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Mini Cooper D 2008
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a Cooper D 2208 that I’ve had a few issues with and working through them. I’ve removed dpf and blanked off egr. I did have issue with fuel additive fault but that is now sorted. No codes except egr after few mins but car has no power. Builds up steady to 3k then stops. Checked hoses all ok. The rod on turbo moves slightly on tickover changing engine note. Could it be the boost solenoid, can it be tested or is it just replace.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
is there any side ways play in the lever on the turbo the arm if wear in the bearing it will prevent the nozzles from opening right and will upset the system, diagnosed one a while a go for guy on here and he went through the changing boost solenoids to vac pipes etc , turned out turbo was worn out, heads up the turbo's on these engines are very crap and wear badly known thing in the trade , 40k and start playing up some later some earlier

·
Registered
Mini Cooper D 2008
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there any side ways play in the lever on the turbo the arm if wear in the bearing it will prevent the nozzles from opening right and will upset the system, diagnosed one a while a go for guy on here and he went through the changing boost solenoids to vac pipes etc , turned out turbo was worn out, heads up the turbo's on these engines are very crap and wear badly known thing in the trade , 40k and start playing up some later some earlier
There is some play in turbo, and sometimes get blue smoke especially when letting foot of the gas.

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
they say 80k to 120k life of a normal turbo , the garret used on the 1.6 hdi engines barely hit the lower mark before throwing issues up , also there is a gauze filter in the bottom banjo bolt for oil feed this clogs up and restricts oil feed and can also cause boost issues just before the bearing goes from lack of oil pressure to it, the fix is dig that gauze filter out and bin it,

·
Registered
Mini Cooper D 2008
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they say 80k to 120k life of a normal turbo , the garret used on the 1.6 hdi engines barely hit the lower mark before throwing issues up , also there is a gauze filter in the bottom banjo bolt for oil feed this clogs up and restricts oil feed and can also cause boost issues just before the bearing goes from lack of oil pressure to it, the fix is dig that gauze filter out and bin it,
Are they worth recoring or just buy another turbo

·
Registered
12,044 Posts

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
would also think about maf sensor as well as that can also prevent them to rev out with age they go lazy

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
yes it should the ecu will go to a default

·
Registered
Mini Cooper D 2008
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unplugged it on way home from work, but no different just threw some maf codes up. Been searching some other posts and think I may have found issue. I’m not sure how far the rod is supposed to travel on the
Unplugged it on way home from work, but no different just threw some maf codes up. Been searching some other posts and think I may have found issue. I’m not sure how far the rod is supposed to travel on the VNT but mine only travels about 10-12mm. And when I used vac pump it’s only getting to 6inHg before it reaches full stroke, so something definitely seems wrong

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
nozzles or the plate inside carbon'd up. happens when dpf filter clogs up over time as well back up with soots

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
Can it be cleaned or just a new turbo
could try it, revive worth a punt I guess, but wont fix wear as they do wear a lot, link below for what i mean

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
its like for like 1.6hdi same years,, the newer ones are servo controlled and not vac

·
Registered
Mini Cooper D 2008
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its like for like 1.6hdi same years,, the newer ones are servo controlled and not vac
No worries. I’ve ordered some Revive to try. On way home tonight I was watching live data. Car spools up slow but then car lunges forward and live data shows one bar of boost. This drops off instantly to another 0.2 of a bar and the power goes. Could this be a dodgy boost valve telling it to shut off the boost?

·
Registered
12,044 Posts
might be , last one i done that was doing same thing was a slightly sticking vnt arm in the centre part of the turbo, that turbo had done 20k if that , common problem with them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts