MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Apologies this has probably been posted before !!!.

My first post on behalf of the missus, just bought her a 57 plate Cooper D and would like to get a spare wheel fitted just in case. Is this a job for the dealers and what would i expect to pay.

Also the car had only one key, this is the round unit that fits in the dash. How much will a second key cost me, i remember paying £200 plus for a coded key for a Renault.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Why do you need a spare, has it not got runflats?

As for key you'll need to speak to the dealer, as its programmed, but its going to be expensive

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
If you have run flats, theres no need for a spare wheel. And if you dont have runflats there is a liquid in the boot that you pump into the tyre in the event of a puncture - no no real need for a spare wheel. Plus, i dont think there is any space for one anywhere.

the key - i think this will be expensive.

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
I didn't spec the spare wheel kit but felt I needed it when we when we drove down to Italy last year for our honeymoon. To me, the foam spray is all well and good, but it ruins the tyre and you can't go very far on it (I had non-run flats on 15" wheels at the time).

I went to Cooper Tunbridge Wells and they put together a kit of parts to fit the spare wheel housing as well as the spare wheel. The whole lot though was a bit pricey - certainly more the the option would have cost had I specced it when I bought the car. The spare was £90 and if I remember right, the kit was £40.

Fitting is very easy - no need for the dealer to do it. The whole thing comes in 4 or 5 bits. The brace goes under the car and bolts through to the inside under the boot floor cover and through a metal bracket that sits in the floor recess (where your foam kit resides). Then you have the wheel holder that the wheel sits on. This has a threaded bar sticking out the top which you line up under the hole in the bracket (now fixed inside the boot) and grab with a long handle and screw down until you can pull the whole thing up through the bracket. That's then retained by a butterfly spring while you fasten the threaded bit with a nut using the wheel nut spanner. All pretty straightforward.

Only trouble is the foam block that held all the bits and pieces no longer fits under the boot floor :mad: Still it's worth it in my opinion as it means a puncture might not necessarily mean a new tyre - especially as they'd be £160+ for my wheels now!

As for a second key, they should have given you one - all Mini's are sold with 2 keys. The fact you only have 1 probably means there's someone out there who still has a key to your car! I'd get the dealer to re-programme if you can. Buying a second key will cost you £££ unless you can force the dealer to give you one on the basis that they should really have given you 2.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts