MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm starting to think about doing the timing chain on my 2011 Cooper D (BMW engine). The car has done 82k miles, so it's getting close to that time.

Thing is, the car is worth about £3k and I've been quoted £1700 to do the timing chain (admittedly including the clutch).

It just feels like a lot of money to spend on the car relative to it's value.

So, the kind of questions I have are:

- have others taken the plunge and done the chain on the MCD?
- what is the latest age/mileage you'd consider doing the chain?
- will the car be ok for mega mileage if I did decide to do the chain?

Thoughts?

· Registered
13,577 Posts
Hi

I'm starting to think about doing the timing chain on my 2011 Cooper D (BMW engine). The car has done 82k miles, so it's getting close to that time.

Thing is, the car is worth about £3k and I've been quoted £1700 to do the timing chain (admittedly including the clutch).

It just feels like a lot of money to spend on the car relative to it's value.

So, the kind of questions I have are:

- have others taken the plunge and done the chain on the MCD?
- what is the latest age/mileage you'd consider doing the chain?
- will the car be ok for mega mileage if I did decide to do the chain?

Thoughts?
3 golden questions and the costs you point out are very much on point as labour is a killer,
i have seen a lot of 3 series bmw over the years and starting to see mini n47 diesels with rattle chains etc, 5 years and 70k on wards that said have seen some with 140k on the clock, they used same engines is the bmw 1 series 118d 120d 123d and same on 3 series etc, bbc watch dog done a tv program about the engines worth searching on google about, BMW seem to blame driver abuse and ho well there will be a few failures,, but then they also say the reason for mounting timing chain at rear of engine is because its for the life of the engine never needs touching,,, hmmm more like trying to force older cars to scrap yards when its a 2k bill on car worth 3k or less maybe,
after chain was done and driven nice oil changes 9k dpf filter kept clear all help it so would think would do 100k easy prob more, i no someone who swears by slick 50 treatment and i can see that would protect a chain a bit maybe,
trouble is there is so many things that are at work with chains use oil service always running oil on full mark all take its toll if not perfect, even a car that sits on motorway will last better than a local to shops and back mileage car..
my hate is how bmw have in my view took the p-ss with what they have done,, when the m47 engine before it was a total peach and i have had loads of them with high miles.. and when chain does wear out its on front of engine takes a 1/3 of the time to do.. but hayho. as for how many miles to leave it before doing it,, Russian roulette with your bank account springs to mind, ie will the trip be the end of the motor is chain slips,, and i promise you it will be,, not seen one yet that has not destroyed the head and all the pistons as compression ratio is very high on those engines,, ie no room to squeeze the valves in at tdc,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.