MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Candid said:
Is any1 know who makes engines for US cooper?
Is it the same engine as in Crysler Neon?
Tritec Motors Ltda., in Brazil makes the 1.6 liter engine for the MINI One, Cooper, and Cooper S. Tritec is jointly owned by BMW (58%) and DaimlerChrysler (42%). Sometimes this engine is referred to as the Pentagon engine (no relation to the DOD building :)).

BMW and Chrysler agreed to the Tritec Motors joint venture in 1998 (just before Mercedes Benz took over Chrysler). Tritec has a huge factory in Brazil capable of producing 400,000 engines annually. At least 100,000 to 150,000 of those engines will be made for the MINI each year.

Besides being used in the MINI, versions of the Tritec engines also find their way into export versions (non-US models) of some Chrysler products -- such as the Chrysler Neon sold in Europe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!
I would think twice before bying new MINI, becouse engines in US neons just sucks! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The MINI engine isn't the same engine that is in US Neons though, is it? I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I assumed since Bruce specified that the Tritec (ie MINI) engine was used in non-US Neons, that the US Neon has a different engine? Besides, they must be differnt, as I've never heard anything good about the Neon's engine, while I've heard nothing bad about the MINI engine ;)

PigLick

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
JCFelt said:
...I assumed since Bruce specified that the Tritec (ie MINI) engine was used in non-US Neons, that the US Neon has a different engine? ....
Yes the Neon sold in the US has a completely different engine than the Tritec engine. When Chrysler installs a Tritec engine it is only on certain models, such as the Neon, that are exported outside of North America.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The supercharged version of the Tritec engine was also going to be used in the PT Cruiser (and possibly a NEON model as well) shortly after the Cooper S debuts here, but the Daimler takeover of Chrysler put a stop to that. Word is Daimler is looking for a small block V6 for the PT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts