MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help everyone... I just got bitten by the mini bug!

I've already test driven both the Cooper and Cooper S today at my local dealer... and OUCH! that cooper S is soooooo good...

But problem it's two and a half grand more here in the uk, which in itself is a problem. The oter problem is insurance... currently I have 1 year's NCB and am about 2 months into my 2nd year. For about less than 50 quid i can change over to a cooper on my insurance that thats it. But to goto a cooper S... they won't even insure me now! they want 2 year's NCB, and even then next year if I have 2 year's NCB the premium for a cooper S is gonna be x3 of what I pay now!!

So in conclusion... I really would like a mini, and the cooper itself feels great. However I know i ultimately want a cooper S... so do I just bite the bullet and go for a cooper with moderate-high enthusiasm... or wait until i can afford/be able to insure a cooper S and get it with huge ecstasy? Thanks!

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
Having just picked up my '05 MCS last night, I would opt for the S! My thoughts are that I "hate" dealing with vehicles as far as purchasing them! So if you know you will ultimately upgrade, might as well do it now so that you do not have to do it later.

But that all depends on finances etc etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Similar sort of situation for me....

My advice?... Get a cooper now, you'll love it. Keep it a couple years, then trade it in for the latest S, which will probably have been re-vamped a couple times by then. While you have the Cooper you will have a great time, and the fact that you know you are getting an S in a couple of years is something to look forward to, and something to get excited about.

It's the great fallacy, immediate gratification versus delayed gratification. If you get the S now you'll be over the moon, but then what, nothing to look forward to. Get a Cooper, you'll love it, but when you get your S it'll be even better after waiting so long. Kinda like how Christmas eve is better than Christmas day....

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought a 2005 MCS and as I drive it more, I see that it is a very difficult car to drive slowly. For me, it is a fourth car for two people, so I do not drive it every day. I can really see that the regular Cooper might be a better choice for a car that is the only one you drive. The rush is great when you accelerate, but quite frankly, the Mini is a really nice car to drive even when you are not "squirting" around. Its comfortable, is very customizable, and can be many things to many people. There is no shame in driving a Cooper.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
All really good advice so far...

Definately go for the Cooper now and then consider upgrading to an S when insurance and funds allow.

I currently have a Cooper and have toyed with the idea of changing to an S from time to time. However, the Cooper is just so good on its own that I will probably get a few years of fun out of this one first and then, if I ever do move up to an S, I can enjoy it all over again :D

Whatever you do, don't spend so much on the car and insurance ( "S" ? ) that you can't afford to enjoy using the car at every opportunity !

Tigger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone, it all seems to be good advice.

as things stand now... I may have to wait till next year anyway to get the cooper or S. Gives me more time to think it over.. but makes me crave for the mini more that I cant get it yet!

If I wanted to take delivery around may/june 05.... should I wait till closer to the time to put in an order... or get the ball rolling now?

Thanks.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
donutz said:
If I wanted to take delivery around may/june 05.... should I wait till closer to the time to put in an order... or get the ball rolling now?

Thanks.
I ordered my MCS a month ago, and delivery is 22nd April 05 !!! If you want one for May/June you will need to order soon.

Matthew

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
At the moment a lot of dealers are quoting 4-5 months on a Cooper and much longer on an S, so I wouldnt wait too long to order - you can always order now and place a firm date you want it ready by. I.E. If you want a Cooper for May get it ordered and say you want it in may. The dealer should then slot it in for the nearest availble production slot they have for a Cooper near that date.

My dealer I know is already quoting next July for an S!

Paul

·
Mini-Holic
200 Posts
I have got a Mini One and im Now geeting a Cooper-S :D What i said to myself is by the time i have done stuff to the One e.g. Maybe S Kit and Superchip. I might as well have bought a Cooper-S. I'd go for the S ;)

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
I'd go for an Cooper whilst you can. Mine is Cooper S spec, half the price to insure, looks similar and if you keep the revs up not a million miles behind. Also you will save about 25% on fuel bills. I want an S but will keep mine for the duration of the warrenty and I don't wish I waited for an S. Owning a Cooper has been a fantastic experience.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a Cooper for 18 months and changed to my S. When I got my Cooper the S wasn't out, but it was only a few months away and could have waited, but I needed a new car quickly (old Golf GTi was on it's last legs) and got a good deal on the Cooper. Loved it to bits. While I adore my S now, and it is much faster, you get the same handling in a Cooper with cheap insurance. Depends if speed is an issue, the two cars go round corners in exactly the same way and are just as much fun.

Personally, I'm glad I did it the way I did. When insurance renewal time comes round, it does hurt on a S; you feel like you've robbed the insurers on a Cooper it's so cheap. I've often thought of selling the S and getting a Cooper again just for the cost saving, but then I realise what a fantastic car I already own, and the money is worth it. The Cooper was a great little car, but the S felt more at home to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts