MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driven under the exact same (normal, 3000 - 4500 RPM shifts...ect.) conditions, and of course un modded, which engine should get a longer life without failure or in need of a serious and expensive overhaul. the cooper or the MCS engine.......

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
The 1.6 liter power plant used in the Cooper is essentially bullet proof. It has been around for quite some time in something called a Neon. The block, crank can take up to a 2 liter displacement.
The castings for the head and oil pan are different but this power plant has more than proven itself in a variety of applications and in a variety of displacements and inductions.

I would not think either is going to have any problem whatsoever over the long run. Been there, done that sort of thing.......

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
flav said:
driven under the exact same (normal, 3000 - 4500 RPM shifts...ect.) conditions, and of course un modded, which engine should get a longer life without failure or in need of a serious and expensive overhaul. the cooper or the MCS engine.......
Apart from the supercharger and a few other odds and sods, both engines are identical, so providing all services and inspections are carried out with manufacturer agreed limits and spec's , there should be no different.
My guess is that a Cooper would be driven harder, so might just lose out. but then an 'S' demands to be driven , its swings and roundabouts really, all things being equal its a tough little unit with loads more headroom than comes with the standard cars.

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
flav said:
reason i ask it becuase the S version has some forged internals, but i also heard that the supercharger would need to be replaced around 100,000 and cost a couple 1,000 $$$$.
I see what you mean, I'd not keep a car that long so would'nt be worried, 50'ks top mileage than move on for me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.