MINI Cooper Forum banner

Do you need more power in your Cooper?

• My Coopers power is enough for the real world.

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • I could use more power.

Votes: 52 50.5%
  • I want more power 'cause I'm a poser!

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • More power would be wasted. Wouldn't use it.

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cooper owners. Do you REALLY need more power?

This thread is aimed at people who already own their Coopers. Now you have driven them for a while, do you really think the Cooper S's extra power is needed in the real world? I don't think I would travel any faster on the journeys I've been on in my Cooper if I had a Farrari!! (and I haven't been travelling grany-like either!).
Your thoughts. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Of course I could use more power!

And so could you R1, otherwise you`d have a 250cc bike instead of your R1;)

Honestly though, I think the car could use some more straight line speed, I agree that journey times are pretty similar to my previous Golf (and the Mini is giving away 55bhp) but more power (and torque) would be nice.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sirobbo said:
And so could you R1, otherwise you`d have a 250cc bike instead of your R1;)
I can use a greater percentage of the power of my R1 on an average ride than I can in my Cooper because of the mobility and ability of a powerfull bike to get around traffic (keeping within the speed limit of course officer .;) )
I think the only reason I would want more horsepower in a car is because it makes a good talking point on forums and in the pub! :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cooper

I don't have my Cooper yet - still waiting, but I've been asking myself the same question. I was wondering if I should hold off till I could get an S. I decided in the end that I didn't need much more power - time will tell I guess. Who needs straight line speed when you want cornering ability?

·
Registered
79 Posts
MrCooper,

Not all the roads I use are stuffed full of corners!

I`d ideally like around 150bhp and 130 lbft of torque, remember that the Mini is not exactly lightweight! (It weighs about the same as a Mk4 Golf 1.6!).

I`d just like it to have a bit more flexibility that`s all!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sirobbo, have to agree. Although I think there's probably enough power I think a bit more mid-range torque and flexibility would be useful - used to have a turbo diesel and in 5th put foot down and it went, Cooper seems a little more 'relaxed' in that respect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know what you mean!

I drove my Father`s Audi A6 TDi yesterday, even in 6th gear it feels like a rocket next to my Mini.
It does have 228 lbft of torque though:D

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sirobbo said:
It does have 228 lbft of torque though:D
Now you have hit on a valid point! Torque is the true measure of power for a car on the road, not H.P. Thats why the "S" will be better on the road than cars like the Civic Type "R" and the like. ;) It's also why bikes like Ducati V twins are faster on the road than their horsepower would suggest!
It still wouldn't get from A to B in a car quicker than in my Cooper though!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Just because someone wants more power surely that does not make you a poser.
I dont think many people will click that box,Badly worded me thinks.:D Zoooooom:cool:

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zoooooom said:
Just because someone wants more power surely that does not make you a poser.
I dont think many people will click that box,Badly worded me thinks.:D Zoooooom:cool:
You should hear some of the people I know then :rolleyes: .

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
R1 said:
Now you have hit on a valid point! Torque is the true measure of power for a car on the road, not H.P.
That is exactly why I want a Cooper S. I am not too bothered of having a top speed in the hundred and thirties, as I will never use it. However, I do feel the Cooper lacks torque where it matters, and this is where the S comes in.

Like you I considered the works conversion, but I think at a cost of £2,500 money could be better spent elsewhere.

LMB:D

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
It all very well have more power but where are you likely to use it:confused: :confused:
You cant really use it on public roads & if you want if for track days & events they arent every weekend so when would you use it:confused: :confused:

The speed limit is a limit not a target (as I was once told) :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
smiffy said:
It all very well have more power but where are you likely to use it:confused: :confused:
You cant really use it on public roads & if you want if for track days & events they arent every weekend so when would you use it:confused: :confused:

The speed limit is a limit not a target (as I was once told) :D :D :D :D

I am not just buying my S for the extra power. The extra torque was the big attraction for me. I drive a lot of country roads and the extra power and torque makes for safer overtaking. Hills are easier to climb. Pulling out of junctions is quicker: Instead of dropping it into first you can leave it in second and know you will still go. Then theres the Traffic-light Grand Prix. :D. And all those Cooper owners who "beat a honda S2000". Well, I can beat a Cooper!

The other reason for my purchase of an S is that it looks far more aggressive than a Cooper or One. That alone is worth the extra £2900. Then there's the standard stuff you have to pay extra for on the Cooper/One and a six speed gearbox! The extra power commes for free! :cool:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Back in August last year, I went for a test drive in the Cooper, I thought it was a great car to drive, but was lacking in power/torque a little bit. I loved the car, and had the Cooper S been a longer time away, I would have put my deposit down for a cooper there and then, I plan to keep my Cooper S for a good few years, and sadly I think that after a year or two in a Cooper, I would be yearning for more power, this shouldn't be the case with the S.

Along with the extra power that an S provides, the other main attractions are the six speed gearbox and the sports suspension and seats.

I specced up a Cooper on the MINI website the other day with things like the sports suspension and the sports seats etc, the price was just over 14,000, so I think that if I spend around £15,000 on the Cooper S, It is extremely good value

The torque is also a big selling point, at the moment, I drive a 1.8 Renault Laguna, and if I want to overtake someone, I have to plan it out about 10 minutes before I actually start the manouvere, talk about lacking in torque!

Andy

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I drive a 1.8 Renault Laguna, and if I want to overtake someone, I have to plan it out about 10 minutes before I actually start the manouvere, talk about lacking in torque!

You should try it in a 1.3 Fiesta Finesse :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Altitude

Have any of you taken your cars up into the mountains to see how the power is affected by elevation, a deffinate concern when you live at 5000 ft :D and regularly drive up to over 10000 ft.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I see your point Sirobbo, fortunately I only have country roads on the way to work - all nice and twisty!:D :D :D . I venture on to dual carrageways about once a month - if that, yet go about 250 miles each week! Its a hard life!:p :p :p

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cooper_S said:
The extra power commes for free! :cool:
It doesn't. MPG and insurance quotes come to mind. ;) My Mondeo ST24 was group 16 and cost almost double to insure than my Cooper. If the "S" is near that then this is the cost for power. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
From my experience i would say that the cooper is fast enough for a small car, now i'm not trying to be
sophisticated ere :) but when u compare it to other small cars- it kicks ass! i mean take the golf tdi i drove the other day and i would say that they've got almost equal amounts of power- then take the handling experience and your streets ahead...

im still running in at the moment (800 miles in one month- no comments please :D) but i fink the car just has this great ability to "carry speed" therefore i fink the extra power wouldn't be needed :)

and coming back to smiffys comment about speed limits i fink that as long as u live in a place like mine (jurassic park) then the cooper is just perfect :)

nice eh R1? :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts