MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So we overcome one dilemma with our Mini Cooper (not wanting to part with it) as we have purchased the Mama and Papas Urbo push chair which fits in the boot!

We had intended to by the Aton car seat (Group 0+) which also fits the Urbo, only it seems the rear seat is to 'bucket' shaped to accommodate the chair :( It fits.... even with the belt fix base but we're told its still unsafe as the seat does not tilt far enough back, as such the babys head would tilt forward until it has control with his/her neck.

Being a 2001 Cooper we don’t have the option of an ISOFIX, nor can we deactivate the front passenger airbag - We've been to Halfords, Mothercare and been told the same story - the car isn’t suitable - What are our options? We really don’t want to part with the car if there is a seat out there that will fit safely......Which I'm sure they will be but its finding it!

Looking forward to peoples replies - Can you help me?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having just spoken with our local dealership I'm told the airbag deactivation switch cannot be retro fitted to this model.

And a single baby seat is listed as suitable for the model at £199 + VAT. The seats been placed on order buy the dealer, once it arrives (Wednesday) I'm to go down and see how it fits, if it is going to be suitable in the rear or if we'll have the same issue.

...An expensive option for a non ISOFix carrier, bu if it does the job it will save selling the Mini I suppose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so FYI the Mini Babyseat is pretty much the same as the BMW ones, difference being the design on the seat cover.

The bad news.... the non ISOFix group0 seat is about as stable as a tiny fishing boat in really stormy seas, even the parts manager told me "I won't be recommending you on having this chair"

Now looking at other options, including getting rid of the Mini - poor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just some feedback here, ended up with the Mamas and Papas Cybex Aton seat with the belt fix base. Popped a wrapped towl under the belt fix base to elevate at the back of the seat and the base locks down using the belt to the seat.... tight fix and safe.

SORTED.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts