MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on midzmodified.com earlier and one of thir sponsors announced they were doing discounted re-maps! They are moving premises and getting new equipment so are trying to get the most out of what they got before the new stuff gets in. I am getting a full 'invisible' remap for £125! :) bargain. And when i get my apollo induction kit they will 'tweek' the map to accommodate the induction kit woop woop. etting it done next week.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sounds like a bargain, but no remap is invisible. If Mini wanted to find it they would...

Are you sure its for the R56 Cooper? Not sure I've seen anyone offering remaps for those as yet.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Sounds like a bargain, but no remap is invisible. If Mini wanted to find it they would...
Wrong....Some remaps are invisible... For instance on the gen 1 mini's Superchips upgrades were 100% undetectable ;) Even to 'mini'... Although i must admit i dont know that this is true with gen 2 seen as gen1's were mapped at OBDport.. So to sum up in the past many remaps were invisible however because i dont have a gen 2 cooper i cant say if a remap will be detectable by mini or not as i havent done it so therefore how would i know ;) But gen1 ones/coopers were sorted :cool:

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
But gen1 ones/coopers were sorted :cool:
Although I think the mechanics would notice an additional 30bhp when test-driving a ONE. :p

In all seriousness, if someone is earnestly concerned about ensuring 'invisibility' - the only logical reason for this is that they're either trying to defraud BMW's warranty system or defraud their insurance company. Neither of which is an admirable intention and should be strongly discouraged.

Be open and honest about your mods.

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wrong....Some remaps are invisible...
I guess it depends on your definition of invisible...

If you mean would the dealer find it with routine servicing etc then they probably wouldn't. However if they suspected it had been remapped and they wanted to prove it they no doubt could. After all they designed the ECU in the first place and will know the default values it should be running with... It would be extremely easy to calculate a checksum on these values to see if it had been tampered with.

To make it really invisible the tuner would need to recode the ECU so it always reported the default values. However this modification itself would also be detectable.

If anyone has any inside knowledge on this I'd love to hear it. I'm a programmer and I just cannot see how anyone could make a truely invisible remap.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Are you sure its for the R56 Cooper? Not sure I've seen anyone offering remaps for those as yet.
TBH Adam I thought I'd read that the R56 Cooper ECU couldn't be read by third party tuners at the moment. Something about Bosch ECU units.

Sorry not wanting to be negative. Just don't want you, or your car messed about.
I've spoke to the bloke and he said that they can get into any ECU, locked or unlocked and that i should expect atleast 15bhp increase and a nice bit or torque too.

I have asked him a couple of times if he can deffo do a 2007 MINI and he said it is possible. So at 11am Friday ill find out! Also said its 100% invisible....not sure how true that is.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Although I think the mechanics would notice an additional 30bhp when test-driving a ONE. :p

In all seriousness, if someone is earnestly concerned about ensuring 'invisibility' - the only logical reason for this is that they're either trying to defraud BMW's warranty system or defraud their insurance company. Neither of which is an admirable intention and should be strongly discouraged.

Be open and honest about your mods.

All the best,
Andrew.
:D i can vouch for this. I had a 30bhp increase and the (then) manager of the dealership i was at pointed out when out in the car with me (i had a brake problem and they couldnt find the problem so manager came out to listen for the problem) and he said something like 'wow its quite nippy for a one' LOL i said yes its quite fast ;)

I agree people should be open and honest about mods to insurers and manufacturers. If mini asked me back then has it been remapped my answer would have been yes.They didnt.But i got the feeling that one and cooper tuning wasnt much of a concern seen as 140bhp was prob the max achievable output and i guess the lack of forced induction kept the torque outputs low too so the cars mechanics were never going to struggle..

I think bmw at the time had more serious issues to deal with such as parts wearing/failing and all the niggles associated with new cars..Mine had quite a few (before mods lol) and was ok for most part after mods and i never once stopped loving the mini, brilliant character these cars have!

I guess it depends on your definition of invisible...

If you mean would the dealer find it with routine servicing etc then they probably wouldn't. However if they suspected it had been remapped and they wanted to prove it they no doubt could. After all they designed the ECU in the first place and will know the default values it should be running with... It would be extremely easy to calculate a checksum on these values to see if it had been tampered with.

To make it really invisible the tuner would need to recode the ECU so it always reported the default values. However this modification itself would also be detectable.

If anyone has any inside knowledge on this I'd love to hear it. I'm a programmer and I just cannot see how anyone could make a truely invisible remap.

I guess it depends on your definition of 'invisible'. The way i see it, if Mini/Bmw cannot back up with hard data that the ecu has been remapped then they cannot void your warranty thus it may not be technically 'invisible' to them but they cannot prove otherwise (or back in gen 1 with superchips i know they couldnt) - this fact was actually guaranteed to me by superchips as at the time i was very concerned with how it would affect warranty and as they put it 'bmw will not beable to see its remapped when they plug in' and went on to say that 'the only way someone will know it has been remapped is if they sit in the car or drive it' and thats hardly solid evidence of how much bhp a car has isnt it ;)

So in that respect i would view it as 'invisible' as if you cant prove it exists then it isnt really there and just a figment of the imagination :p

Just to reiterate, im not telling people to hide mods from mini, im just explaining one of many situations and ive already made it clear that if you are asked by mini if you have mods/certain mods then the choice is completely yours, choose wisely..And the above reasoning for remap being 'invisible' was not my words but from superchips themselves so dont blame me for putting forth some balanced information.

·
Registered
851 Posts
PNP for the win on this front.

As soon as Unichip gets it's act together I'll be in the queue for one.
I trust you've followed the development of the Unichip/Alta tune on NAM? Last I saw they still hadn't solved the harness issues and Unichip was taking over all work on them, not sure Alta sells them anymore...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I trust you've followed the development of the Unichip/Alta tune on NAM? Last I saw they still hadn't solved the harness issues and Unichip was taking over all work on them, not sure Alta sells them anymore...
Yeah I have been following it. It's not that big a deal once they get the harness right. I wouldn't keep a third party map regardless if it was Alta or not.

I'll be getting one once the harness is fixed and having someone like Lohen tune it for my specific mods. If that cannot be done then I'll be bringing back a MoTeC from Australia after Christmas and having that fitted. It does mean chopping bits up and more money on an install but the level of flexability in terms of tuning is never ending.

An M400 should do the trick

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
no idea..he just said once i get an induction kit he would tweek the map to accommodate for the induction kit to get the max power possible.
Hi, not stirring, just making sure you don't get mislead....you can't adjust software for an open induction kit alone. The ECU is already capable of adapting for the increased airflow due to the air mass diameter.

Seems very cheap to me, make sure its Dyno proven if they have one, or at least test drive it ;-)

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, not stirring, just making sure you don't get mislead....you can't adjust software for an open induction kit alone. The ECU is already capable of adapting for the increased airflow due to the air mass diameter.

Seems very cheap to me, make sure its Dyno proven if they have one, or at least test drive it ;-)
Hi mate, I'm not a tuner so have no idea. I wont be having an open cone - i'd be having a k&n appollo if that makes any difference.....

Yea, ill defo test drive it. It is cheep because its a special price before they get new stuff in their new place - the owner of MM is good friends with him and most of the MM cars have had something done there over the years.

Cheers for the advice :)

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It worked a treat! :D

the company is called City Styling, in Walsall. They are located in Licthfield House. i would say £100 very well spent! i am also not getting 42mpg apposed to the 35mpg before :).

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
It worked a treat! :D

the company is called City Styling, in Walsall. They are located in Licthfield House. i would say £100 very well spent! i am also not getting 42mpg apposed to the 35mpg before :).
Did you mean you are getting 42mpg now and 35 before the remap?

I find it very hard to believe that the expertise of BMWs vast engineering team cannot match an aftermarket tuner.

MINI will have tuned the car to get a balance of performance/economy. I cannot see how you can get increased performance as well as a 20% improvement in economy :confused:

BTW, I am averaging 46mpg in my standard Cooper, about 75% mway driving at the moment.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep that is correct.

You get more power & mpg because you have more power - you dont have to put your foot down as much - less petrol has to be used to get the same speeds.

46mpg is very good. i think my sister (countryside driving 99%) is getting 48 which is very good indeed.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts