MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all
So I have just bought another cooper s. I had one a few years ago and didn't realise until I test drove today how much I missed it. Now I took a bit of a punt on the car despite the roof not working... So I’ve checked the fuse and checked the switch... I’ve also checked the parcel shelf operation switches and they are engaging. Does anyone have any other suggestions please.
Thank’s in advance

·
Registered
475 Posts
oh boy, you are in trouble, there are various hal sensors for the roof. The biggest fail seems to be the sunroof part, that is the stuff under the middle plastic cover above your head, it pulls off. This part controls the front latches, the travel of the screwed roof motor, and has sensors that inhibit operation if everything is not perfect. the motor drives a small plastic cog and this can also fail and get eaten

·
Registered
901 Posts
Many R52s are being broken down for spares, so secondhand roofs are available and sometimes the cheapest way to fix a fault. However it’s impossible to tell exact what is wrong on a forum. What exactly does it do and not do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many R52s are being broken down for spares, so secondhand roofs are available and sometimes the cheapest way to fix a fault. However it’s impossible to tell exact what is wrong on a forum. What exactly does it do and not do!
Hi.
So it literally does nothing. There are no warning lights, no flashing red light... I've checked the switch but can't test it's operation... So I'm heading off to the mini garage in the morning. I'm hoping its a busted switch!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you check the fuse/relay box under the bonnet?
I don't know but there may be a second fuse or relay for the roof there.
thanks I hope it's that simple.

·
Registered
MINI ONE Convertible 2004 1.6 Petrol COOL BLUE A27
14 Posts
Duff switch possible; or a sensor. Sunroof and the rest of the roof work on two different systems so if you aren’t getting any response from the roof at all from closed then more likely an electrical / sensor break than anything else.

cheapest fix to start with might be to replace the switch in the headliner. Have you tried using the central locking toggle switch on the dash to open the roof (lift and hold in place)? If that works then the rest of the roof may be okay?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts