MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a R50 51reg Mini ONE with 15" Pepper pot Alloys with 175/65 R15 Tyres, Pictured Below:

I would like to fit some of the below 17" 8 spoke alloys from an R53 Cooper S, the tyre size of these is 205/45 R17. As pictured Below:

Can i just swap them, i don't want to have any rubbing or have to buy any spacers, i just want a straight swap?

Thanks and regards

I will add to the rep of anyone who answers this question, thanks...

Also as a bonus question, which are the best tyres for grip to buy for my current 15" alloys?

Attachments

·
Miss Independent
791 Posts
The 17" S Spoke alloys will fit on your ONE without the need for modifications or rubbing. They are quite heavy though so you might feel a slight decrease in acceleration.

Reactions: m_cooke999

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question answered, Nice one, thanks guys. I'm thinking of swaping them because i need 2 new front tyres and so im looking into buying cooper s alloys with tyres (with tread left) and selling mine as the difference in price might not be too great.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They're a straight swap like every one says.
Worth noting that the 17" tyres are a larger diameter which will make your speedo read faster, be slightly slower to accelerate, will increase braking distances, need more expensive tyres, wear out pads and discs faster and have worse petrol mileage.

All that said, they look miles better and are definitely worth it. They can make a One look taller (like a rollerskate), so a further improvement is to lower the car on springs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi i recently upgraded my 15 inch alloys for 17 inch s spokes i put them on they look brill however i dont know if its just me but the steering feels different!! do i need to get the tracking doing? or the wheels balancing? they seem to pull to the left a lot more than before

Thankyou

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
They are probably more camber sensisitve now that you have bigger and heavier wheels on, it shouldn't be doing it too much though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to post here!

I fitted S wheels to my cooper and first time out the flat tyre warning light came on? is this normal, i reset it and it has not come on since.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Sorry to post here!

I fitted S wheels to my cooper and first time out the flat tyre warning light came on? is this normal, i reset it and it has not come on since.

Cheers

Chris
Yeah best thing to do is inflate to correct pressures and do the reset warning light.
very normal for it to happen after swapping wheels, shows it's working :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts