MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I had ordered my new 2005 Cooper S with the auto transmission with an expected delivery date of January 2005. I know I will hear from several of you regarding the auto tranny, but please read my complete post before flaming me…

My main reason for selecting the Auto was that my wife does not drive a manual shift and I thought, why make her learn how now, likewise my own level of laziness was a factor. I understand you give up some of the fun…!

Now when I ordered this I assumed that I was getting the CVT…
Not so, since the Cooper S will have a new automatic tranny, verified by the dealer yesterday. I feel now that I will loose even more of the fun factor, as well as several unknowns. How will the car perform now, also what will the mileage be like. I am against trying new applications before the bugs get worked out.

My salesperson said that the company will stand behind the new tranny but they can’t guarantee a level of performance and fun….

I’d like thoughts on this…

Thanks

minirizzo

·
Registered
22 Posts
First off, congrats on the new Mini.

My thoughts on this are...
New technology on the road=run away. I would not like to be the guinea pig for a 30,000 car. That's just me.

The CVT tranny probably couldn't hold up under the strain of the super charger, hense the new transmission.

The re-sale on the car is gonna suck. Kinda like buying a Ninja with training wheels.

The performance will be less than with the 6 speed. The fun factor is all in the seat of your pants and how fast your haert pounds. Compleatly personal.

Have fun with it, you are gonna love it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
She can be trained.

If your wife has never driven a manual, she would probably be pleasently suprised with driving the MINI. I find it to be one of the easiest manual cars to drive on the planet!

I'm sure with some patient training you would be able to teach her to drive...on a really nice rental. :)

THEN she would love the MCS... I would never recommend and automatic sports car to anyone, its just not cricket.

Anyway, congrats on the new MINI, castrated though it is.

RMout

·
Mini Bar!
141 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the update, I am in a very similar position to you. My missus drives like she's been taught by stevie wonder, and having made me sell my range rover to buy a mini, now wont drive it because of the gears. we are currently on our second mini (cooper convertible), and have a cvt cooper cab arriving in a week or two. she is happy for an upgrade to a mcs, so long as it has a peddle missing.

the truth of the matter is that we both need to get a grip on our lives, but in the meantime an auto mcs is a start

all the best :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Drive an auto cooper and then drive the manual S. You won't look back. And neither will your wife.

If she has patience, she won't regret learning manual. I feel you will regret an auto S purchase. The fun is all in the gear changes and controlling the vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
first of all, congratulations on the new purchase bro.. Im sure ull enjoy it.
I personally wouldnt have bought my MCS in auto (even if it was offered at the time)
I believe part of the MCS character is the 6 speed tranny. I personally think it gives better handling, perofrmance, and most importantly FUN. (then again its just my opinion)
The MCS without a doubt is fun, even with an Auto tranny, Goodluck and enjoy ur new set of wheels :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Compromise!!!

My girlfriend is also an auto person. I told her we can keep our current car (Freelander (yawn) 1st and last auto), or get a mini. On one deal - I get an 'S' (manual) and she can have the convertible and in her choice of colour.

Solution a yellow mini cooper S convertible due in the next couple of months.

Isn't life about compromises? Don't give up the experience!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have not been on the site for quite a while, but wanted to see what was happening with the MCS auto tranny. The above comments are interesting, but I did not see mention of the paddle shifters which I had heard were standard with the MCS automatic transmission. Any word on this or whether the transmission is a 6 speed auto? Who makes it and what other cars has it been in, if any?

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
We have a couple here that went the Cooper/CVT route for the same reason, and now they both regret it.

IMHO, if you want a CVT, do not expect ultimate performance. There is a time and place for an automatic, the top of the line model is not the place. I see it the same as the people who buy a V-6 automatic Mustang or Corvette. You buy it because you want it more for the status symbol than what the car really symbolizes. Automatic in a Caviler or Taurus, that is fine. You are looking for a utility. Automatic in a Ferrari, Lamborghini, no way.

Manual Transmission MCS is worth learning how to drive and is very easy to drive. It is worth taking the jump.

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
I realize how my previous post sounds, and I did not mean that to be negative towards any new or prospective MINI owner. It was more directed towards MINI as a manufacturer. People are going to get what they can. If you live in an urban area and are subject to a stop-and-go traffic situation, an automatic is going to be the preferred choice. You have to go with what suits your needs.

I am sorry if I offended anyone. Not that I was trying to do... :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
The re-sale on the car is gonna suck.
I beg to differ, my CVT Cooper that is 16 months old has a higher resale value than a manual one. This is in the US.

I am also looking at the Auto MCS as a replacement for the MC, would like to have a manual, but being 6'7", living in NYC and driving in stop/go traffic for about 3 hours daily ... well ... you get the idea. The manual would certainly not be "fun" in my case.

Does anyone know for sure the type of tranny this new MCS will have? I hear it's a conventional one with paddle shifters. In either case, will wait till probably next summer to trade in my car.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.