MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mini Gangster
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna buy a cooper S bonnet. Will any decent body shop be able to paint if for me and if so, what is the estimated cost for such a job? Also, is it a big job to remove my old one and replace it?

Cheers

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Couple of hundred pounds maybe for a bonnet to be sprayed, should be quite a simple task to replace the bonnet in theory, but quite fiddly because of the sheer size of the thing. You'd certainly want help with it!

Also, you'll have to think of someway of dealing with the junk and water that will come through the scoops, as on an "S" it's sealed to the intercooler.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have an s bonnt on my one and all i did to stop junkcoming hrough was use the original sound proofing and cut a smaller hole than there wud have been in the S sound proofing, Been fine so far. Mine cost £700 panted fitted with scoop grill everything from cool new. The scoop is a sepperate part to bonnet.
Ollie

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
davewgarden said:
Cheer for the advice.Got to ask myself wether its worth £700 to get it done now!
Strange concept...

spending £700 on a bonnet to make a one look like an "S" and then removing the functionality of the scoop so it doesn't let air in?

...why not just buy an S ? (insurance increases I know, but most people only experience around £50 per year, or £5 a month addition to their premium).

Trade in for an S would also be great at this time because you'd get the 5th generation supercharger, the shorter gear ratios and of course the best platform in the world to build on...

Definately worth some serious thought instead of investing money into making it look like something it isn't.

I understand that most people can't afford it but if you already own a MINI Cooper or One then there must be room for stretching those finance strings a little more.

Oh so tempting.

If you have a Cooper, leave it looking like a Cooper becuase the exhaust doesn't match, the spoiler doesn't match, and the engine performance isn't there. I know a Cooper owner who has changed his bonnet and I just think to myself, "why?".

;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
personnaly i was not able t get insured on a cooper s as i am only 17 they wanted 4500 pounds when its 1000 pounds on a one. Also i had a dent in bonnet where a yob fell on it. It looks bloody cool to be driving around in a modified cooper S lookalike at the age of 17. my scoop had not been altered it cools the engine down. lol.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
ollie20016 said:
i have an s bonnt on my one and all i did to stop junkcoming hrough was use the original sound proofing and cut a smaller hole than there wud have been in the S sound proofing, Been fine so far. Mine cost £700 panted fitted with scoop grill everything from cool new. The scoop is a sepperate part to bonnet.
Ollie
£700 :eek: That's a lot. My dads getting nearly the whole side of his car re-sprayed for £950 and that's from a BMW Authorised joint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts