MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the brake pedal on a Cooper S with 8000 miles be spongy. When pressing the brake pedal I can press it virtually all the way to the end and can feel air being displaced.

The obvious comment would be that the brakes need bled.

Brycem

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
Your description is "hairy" to say the least. In no way is it normal nor should you drive like that.
Best way to determine if there is air is to pump the pedal. If it firms up with pumping, yep, it is air alright....next question....how did it get in there?????

If it does not pump up......your pads are woooooorn.......or your servo is trash.
Hope this helps...... :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
My brakes were pretty stiff from the factory and then I took it in for the 2 year brake flush. It came back very mushy and I even took it back for a re-bleed. They said everything was fine but they re-bled anyway...it came back a little more firm but nothing like from the factory. Next time, I'm going to do it myself with good fluid and I'll probably switch to steel braided lines.

To tell you the difference, before the fluid was replaced, I couldn't heel toe. After I got it back, I can easily reach the accelerator pedal when pressing the brake. Although I like the fact it's very easy to heel-tow, the pedal travel is way to long and almost dangerous. I'll replace the pedals for better heel-toe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.