·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, are you? Why or why not?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Is DSC "traction control"? With no limited slip, how can you live without it? I had a 140hp car with limited slip, and it never spun its tires, even in a pouring rain. My curent 91hp car, without limited slip, will spin its tires helplessly in first and second gears, unless a very light touch is used on the throttle - not something I want to do when trying to pull into traffic. Car rag testers always seem to turn off the traction control, for better, uh, control.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Absolutely I am getting DSC.

After learning about it, DSC is the number one option I want to make sure I have on my new S. It is well beyond traction control. I want it for its intended purpose - to help save my butt in an extreme emergency maneuver when I suddenly might need help challenging the laws of physics and vehicle dynamics.

Read what BMW says DSC does:

http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/dsc.htm

Remember that DSC can always be switched off by those drivers who want to 'explore' the very same laws of physics and vehicle dynamics - not to mention the world of potential insurance claims :).

·
Registered
930 Posts
No, for these reasons, unless I get the Sport Package:

a) The weather isn't bad enough here
b) I don't think I'd truly feel the difference
c) I can spend $500 on something else
d) Really don't think grip will be an issue with this car

·
Registered
783 Posts
So, straghtforward traction control is "ASC", and that's standard? Hmmmmmm. If it can be turned off, DSC might be worthwhile as part of the Sport Package. I don't htink I'd pay just to have it, though.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You know, I'm really not sure if I want DSC or not.

It's currently on the list of options I *probably* want, but I just don't know enough about it.

So I'm hoping this thread will help me make up my mind :)

Oh, I know the standard BMW blurb on the wonders of DSC. But that's written by marketing men who are paid to make me feel grateful that the car has a windscreen and engine! WHat I really want to know is does it improve the drive offered by the car? Will it help, with tyres lasting longer, cornering feeling sharper, acceleration smoother etc? Or wil it leave me feeling like I'm just along for the ride, after years of driving a car that demands total driver concentration?

Any help appreciated ...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What is DSC? Ever seen one of these?

Climate need not be a factor in considering DSC. DSC can work for you even on dry pavement. Consider this:

You barreling into a corner and you overcook it. On a regular car, there are two choices if you don't manage to slow down and recover it. 1. Plow straight off the road (understeer). 2. Spin out of control (oversteer).

Given such a short wheelbase the tendancy for a car would usually be oversteer, but given the MINI's incredible rear suspension, it actually understeers.

So, you're about to plow off the road in your MINI. You dial in more wheel, but no use, you're skidding forward. You're done. Or are you?

If you purchased DSC, there's one more trick up your sleeve that seems to ignore the laws of vehicle dynamics. The car can skid-steer it's self back into control using the brakes and the engine, much like a Bobcat construction shovel.

Firstly the computer applies the brake to the inside rear wheel to try and bring the car around while slowing it to the point of regaining traction. Failing that, the inside front is also applied, and the engine torque is routed through the differential to the outside wheel (that, folks is why there's no limited slip differential). The car in effect spins it's self right by braking one wheel and powering the other. Just like Skid-steering.

On the longer wheelbase, RWD BMW cars, more prone to oversteer, the system does sort of the opposite to keep the car from spinning out.

It sounds neat, it works even better than it sounds, because from behind the wheel all you notice is that you made it 'round the bendy bits easily... ...Hey, what's that light marked "low-trac" blinking about?

P.S. No, I'm not trying to sell it, I just love technology and think that really good safety items like ABS should be universally adopted and made standard.

P.P.S A single fender will pay for the price of the DSC.

Attachments

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
DSC - yes!

I'll be getting the DSC.

My current car is a Mercedes ML-320 with their ESP system, and it has already saved me once (went too fast into a reverse-banked curve - Doh!). But (like I mentioned in another thread), the electronic stability systems are only so good -- I managed to spin out during an ice storm we had a few years ago. Sir Isaac Newton is still firmly in charge, but the DSC/ESP/etc. systems can distract him momentarily :D

From what I've read, the BMW DSC system is geared towards people who are interested in driving (err, Motoring), and it's settings are such that it doesn't intervene until you've really done something stupid. Plus you can switch it off (the Mercedes system only partially disengages).

Chip H.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Absulutely yes!

For the same reasons BruceK, noahe and chiph stated. I will leave it on until I choose to experiment.

In the Northwest of the US, we occasionally have to contend with snow, ice, and then gravel roads for weeks afterwards. The gravel can be worse than the snow, as it acts like a thousand little marbles.

Occasionally, when it's not raining, it can be quite nice. And when you go for days or weeks without rain the oil can really start to accumulate on the road surface. It doesn't become noticable until the first rain. Then all hell breaks loose, as at least 10 drivers flunk physics.

Every front wheel car I have ever had, with the exception of an Audi, was extremely light in the back end, and combined with a short wheel base, were always very itchy and eager to swap ends. I've also owned three RWD vehicles, two trucks and a SUV. Both the SUV and current Truck have LSD, which I'll miss in a long RDW wheel base, because it makes it so easy to break loose.

Drifting the backend can be very fun, but it's always easily recoverable by easing up on the gas. The long wheel base gives you much more time to react than a short one.

Without DSC, I don't know how seriously I'd look at the MINI. I love the looks, and it had rekindled all the passions that the original did when I lived in London. However a 63/37 weight distribution would give me concerns without DSC.

The other reasons are that I want it fully loaded, as I intend to keep it a very long time. Lastly, as a Software Engineer, how could I pass on a cool gadget like DSC?

Cheers,
Brant

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BrantV said:

........Without DSC, I don't know how seriously I'd look at the MINI. I love the looks, and it had rekindled all the passions that the original did when I lived in London. However a 63/37 weight distribution would give me concerns without DSC..........

I think you'll be amazed how the standard Cooper drives without DSC....... but I agree, DSC will be a safety issue with me......we accept ABS after all....

cheers

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I'm going to get it, and that's whether I settle for a Cooper or a Cooper S.

I seem to be one of the few people who've managed to slide a Cooper without any intention (trying to keep up with a Classic Mini in the Peak District), and the DSC/ASC can be switched off, so why not have them?!

:)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
DSC or yaw control by any other manufacturer's name is going to gain widespread approval.

Anytime a new system adds to a vehicle's safety, ability and is easy, rewarding and fun, it's going to be a hit.

Sure, some people don't like seatbelts, airbags, even ABS. If you could switch ABS off, people would soon change their tune. ABS won me over, first emergency maneuver in winter.

Myself, I still hate Traction Control. But if it can be switched off, or be a little less intrusive I'll take it. I actually like the idea that people in powerful floaty land yachts that can't hear or feel the tires slipping have this feature on their cars. I like to know it's protecting my family when I'm not driving. What I don't like, is that the system retards engine power AFTER I've already let-up on the gas, and won't give it back for about a second more.
But I'm optimistic that the "+T" part of the "ASC" on a 2002 BMW is WAY better than what I have on a 1995 GM.

But some advancements are just all around great news. Like Radial tires. Better grip, better durability, less flats, better cornering, acceleration, braking, better all season performance. Everyone won. No one was screaming on about how we should go back to bias ply's.

I think DSC will be a wonderful, positive development.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
I'm going to get it, and that's whether I settle for a Cooper or a Cooper S.

I seem to be one of the few people who've managed to slide a Cooper without any intention (trying to keep up with a Classic Mini in the Peak District), and the DSC/ASC can be switched off, so why not have them?!

:)
Paul I think you should give me a shout when you come up to Aberdeen so I can give you some driving lessons prior to you testing the 's'.

hahahaha:D :D

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
It was a downhill road with a big bend, standing water on the road, I was going slower than the Mini in front, not braking or anything, and the car just let go. Only for a second or so, but long enough for me to gulp, what with the oncoming cars and all!

DSC may have helped on a situation like that.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
It was a downhill road with a big bend, standing water on the road, I was going slower than the Mini in front, not braking or anything, and the car just let go. Only for a second or so, but long enough for me to gulp, what with the oncoming cars and all!

DSC may have helped on a situation like that.
I managed to get my Mini into a slide the other day. The road was quite wet and I took a roundabout a bit too fast. However, no sooner did the back came out, the Mini's CBC soon corrected the problem and straightened me up. I have to admit I was well impressed.

I am not sure whether I am going to bother with DSC, we will see. How much is it anyway?

LMB:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I didn't opt for DSC.

I don't plan on pushing my Cooper S' envelope TOO far.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I dont plan on getting that far out of shape, plus my current car hasnt even got ABS, so thats a bonus for me.

I am sure ASC+T will be more than enough for my driving needs

Andy

:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
This thread has helped me to decide ...

I will be opting for DSC. 167 BHP plus a big load of torque is plenty of potential to get out of shape on our roads. Sure, sliding round the roundabouts can be fun, but I've had my fill of those sort of moments in the Mini. With double the power on tap, I think it's time to choose all the electronic driver aids I can get.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:
I dont plan on getting that far out of shape....
Andy, not planning on getting that far out of shape is the whole reason of having DSC.

It's there for unplanned situations and emergencies to save your butt when things are beyond your (or any driver's) skills or control. Saying you don't plan on needing it is like saying you don't need to wear your seat belt as you don't plan on crashing. :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts