MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was having a discussion about the MINI on usenet and someone said the MINI engine is actually a Chrysler engine and not a BMW engine. Is this true? What is the truth in the rumour about Toyota supplying MINI engines?

PS Hello BTW ;) I am considering buying an S sometime possibly, just a bit worried about the insurance. I'm hoping all the niggles the Cooper had will have been sorted in the S too.

Cheers

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
The MINI engine (aka Pentagon or Tritec), is made as a result of a joint venture between BMW and Chysler. They are not a Chrysler engine, or a BMW engine, or even a Daimler engine (now they and Chrysler are one and the same). The MINI engine is not used in any other car in it's MINI configuration.

The Cooper S engine is the same block again, but with modifications to it to help it make/deal with the increased power.

Toyota are suplying MINI with diesel engines (1.4l) which as far as I can gather should go on sale next year.

Welcome to the site. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Okay they are both BMW and Chrysler, thanks. Funny how that came about, aren't BMW and Daimler arch rivals?

Cheers for the info,

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
NutTheBus said:
Thanks for the reply. Okay they are both BMW and Chrysler, thanks. Funny how that came about, aren't BMW and Daimler arch rivals?

Cheers for the info,
The joint venture in 1998 was originally between BMW and Chrysler. But soon afterward Daimler acquired Chrysler. So yes, it is strange that they are rivals, yet cooperating this way.

For more info, try searching on this site for "Tritec".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts