MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today we had a cooper s in 2009 that had been to a so called tuning house nearby and had bigger intercooler fitted bigger injectors dump valve pretty blue pipe work hmmm take it from me black for gobabygo rule of thumb as handles heat better and a mother of a remap and as requested by owner wanted pops and bangs from exhaust which is very much possible and is ok when done correctly ie can have some right big flames on and off over run and work fine like it,
so what you dont do is all of the above and then leave the cat in place and leave 02 sensors controlling the fuel air mix trim, what happens is to get pops and bangs more fuel is used for long duration to allow unburnt fuel and air mix to enter the exhaust on overlap scavenge where it ignites a bit like a furnace ie cats max temp 1000c on the very top end by adding fuel at that time it pushes the temps well north of that is a restricted area and just explodes the cat over time,, also its melts the 02 sensors and puts massive heat and pressure on turbo and engine etc , so correct way should be decat ie keep the cat looking standard and sleeve it inside with a straight pipe this will pass mot for a start, then on on the remap you must map the upstream sensor value parameters different to the down stream sensor cant tell you these figures as part of the mapping and depends on the car etc, when this is done the whole system breaths correctly etc, this guy spent £1700 on this car to make 300bhp and all he got was a hot engine that oil light came on, 10 miles per gallon and undrivable,, after he had got black magic performance centre ie john to sort it all out and do the job correctly on that level car was totally different and so fast,,, honestly be ware there are people out there that can order mod parts from a book and bolt it on but the devil is on the detail getting it all to play right and out of the box as such or before its given back to customer,, the above is very common on petrol tuned cars that run cats for emissions and wont cope with to much non stop heat that remaps and pops and bangs cause, done a ford focus rs turbo other day same thing this one just melted the cat funny enough from same place, the customer rang them and told them about it,, their answer was ho sorry we have had a few like that hmmm that's not right, and did not ask to see car again to sort it or at least find out if was their doing... naughty is what that is, anyone want a good honest garage in southwest or remap or timing chain done etc give john a call

· Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm surprised the 2nd gen made 300bhp with only spending £1700, and with a cooper s stage 2 would probably make ~250bhp. Not sure if the person has any other mods, but must be a lucky person with 300bhp on a 2nd gen without serious engine damage.

· Registered
13,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
should add customer quoted figures that were what the other place had told them including a rolling road print out , i'm very much in doubt it made anywhere near that saying that it was looney tune fast, we just worked out what had not been done etc, below link pug rcz 270bhp factory from n18 and can be upped out the box to 300bhp same engines as mini

· Registered
1,302 Posts
I've seen another forum build thread with N14 engine and the RCZ 270bhp turbo and that makes 300bhp, the bloke dissected the turbo and found it to be an excellent turbo with very strong internal parts not like the MINI ones but instead similar to turbos in racing cars.

· Registered
13,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen another forum build thread with N14 engine and the RCZ 270bhp turbo and that makes 300bhp, the bloke dissected the turbo and found it to be an excellent turbo with very strong internal parts not like the MINI ones but instead similar to turbos in racing cars.
yep the rcz is the most powerful 1.6 production car engine or was back in 2012 i think it was might be wrong its around then, the rcz is n18 ie has twin vanos and vvt plus cleaver mapping, that all said the timing chain still go wrong on them there is all over the internet stories of failures and recalls etc,, adding power to a weak valve train just makes it wear faster as more revs more movement and more wear etc, trouble is with nearly all front wheel drive cars 300bhp just overloads the front tyres and steering and brakes etc,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.