MINI Cooper Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Basil said:

WOW!!!....Thanks for that Mutts. Just gets better and better.

You should start a new thread with that photo, a lot of people may miss it otherwise.
You're welcome. Smart thinking, will do.

B.:p

PS, I first had it here in the Cooper S forum, but have merged it with one I started in the general forum, I think this is a more appropriate place, since it is not model specific for the S....

Regards,
Bas

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
Basil said:
Yes, well all that may be so, but the answer to my question that only PM has answered is that the guy that was supposed to be a top notch BMW man said "BIGGER" pulleys.....for MORE power.....
It should be a SMALLER pulley for more power. The smaller the pulley doesn't have as far to go around. Think about it, a smaller wheel spins faster. Which means a faster spinning supercharger = more boost...more boost = more HP!
M2C

·
Registered
261 Posts
minicoopersgirl said:

It should be a SMALLER pulley for more power. The smaller the pulley doesn't have as far to go around. Think about it, a smaller wheel spins faster. Which means a faster spinning supercharger = more boost...more boost = more HP!
M2C
Thank goodness someone got that right! Thanks. :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
minicoopersgirl said:

M2C
My point exactly. Lets hope the same "top notch BMW man" isn't in charge of the "pull" problem !!:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Under or overdrive pulleys

The key to all this is WHICH pulley you are changing! If you are changing the Main pulley (usually off the crank shaft) you want a smaller one. You can acomplish the same thing by putting a larger one on the blower. It is sometimes better to do the latter so it doesn't effect the accessories that also dive of the main, ie. alternator A/C pump or powersteering pump. The other problem is the blow off or diverter valve and the ECU. All will have to be changed. Not a big problem once the tuners get them on the dyno, but I wouldn't want to try it from a laptop...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do believe you have that backwards again. To make the blower go faster, either decrease the blower pulley size or increase the the drive pulley size. If the drive pulley is running other accessories the latter could be a problem.

Getting anxious!:)

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
Okay...
The key to making the supercharger spin faster is to increase the size difference between the two pulleys. You can make the crank pulley BIGGER or the SC pulley SMALLER. Although, it really isn’t the best idea to change the crank pulley on these engines. Changing the crank pulley may have possible CATASTROPHIC effects due to the elimination of harmonic balancing. Some cars (i.e. Dodge Neon) have come apart because of crank failure due to changing to lighter, non-harmonic balanced crank pulleys.
Basically, get a smaller SC pulley.

·
Registered
261 Posts
minicoopersgirl said:
Okay...
The key to making the supercharger spin faster is to increase the size difference between the two pulleys. You can make the crank pulley BIGGER or the SC pulley SMALLER. Although, it really isn’t the best idea to change the crank pulley on these engines. Changing the crank pulley may have possible CATASTROPHIC effects due to the elimination of harmonic balancing. Some cars (i.e. Dodge Neon) have come apart because of crank failure due to changing to lighter, non-harmonic balanced crank pulleys.
Basically, get a smaller SC pulley.
Yeah! What she said! :D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basil said:
(Ummm, think I will wait till the 150kw Works Cooper S comes out here, than mess about with my S. Don't like the sound of it at all. 120kw will do me for now.).

:confused:
If my dealer is correct (why do I find myself saying this so often!) then they will be selling the Works kit as an official retro-fit item in Aus, eventually

So, we can play with 163bhp for a while then decide if an upgrade is needed... Like you said:cool:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
rich said:

If my dealer is correct (why do I find myself saying this so often!) then they will be selling the Works kit as an official retro-fit item in Aus, eventually

So, we can play with 163bhp for a while then decide if an upgrade is needed... Like you said:cool:
Yes it does actually mention this in the Cooper Works brochure, but goes on to talk about the "kudos" of having one built in the Works Factory.

The Courier Mail here said (this wednesday) that the Works BMW's (oops MINI's i mean) WILL be coming to Australia. It's a newspaper so who knows what the truth is. This is where I got the 150kw figure from.

It's so frustrating is it not. BMW have played this came very well. Carrots on sticks.......

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.