MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
R53 Cooper S Owner
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im looking to add an induction kit to my 54 plate mini cooper s, as I had a K&N on my Seicento Sporting, and I miss the grunt it had in tunnels!!! What are the brands to look for, I dont want to pay stupid prices, but at the same time I dont want a cheap bit of tat.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
If you want to increase power then as most people now will agree that you are not going to gain much with a CAI over the stock air filter, ive just returned to stock also.

But for more engine and supercharge noise then maybe an Alta or GTT CAI. From experience Alta would be my choice and TBH you are not going to gain a significant amount from any so id say the choice's would be one that you think looks good at the end of the day. Price will also be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
460 Posts
ive driven a few cooper's with different options and the one that felt the best had a pannel filter (im not naming any brands good or bad) just what my thoughts were

·
Supercharger Noiseaholic
186 Posts
IMHO, your worthwile options are:

if you don't want to spend the cash, K&N (or ITG) panel filter
Or if you want a CAI that works, get the Alta V2 & Lid, or the John Cooper Motorsport airbox, they both seal properly and use the pressure difference from the windscreen cowl meaning you get a greater flow of air through the box.

But if you get the Alta, make sure you get the lid, it's useless without, also when you fit it, ignore the instructions, you might need to cut down the bracket, also make sure you fit the thin rubber trim and then put the 'lid' around the outside of all of the walls of the box, and not how it suggests, as otherwise it leaves a 5mm gap at the front.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Also if fitted one to get the loud induction noise you probably got on your fiat you arent going to get it on your mini. The induction kits just tend to make the supercharger whine louder.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Don't expect to get the same noise difference as a NA car like the fiat. You won't get anymore "meat" just high pitched, louder supercharger noise. Scour youtube for videos with CAI's mate otherwise you might make the wrong decision... the sound is not to everyones taste...

...especially if you like the sound of K&N'd "Seicentos"... (really... can't see it myself??). Theres a guy near me with an old Micra SR (1.3) with a induction kit, sounds beefed up but still doesn't go anywhere lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts